First large tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pictuslover23

Aquarium Advice Regular
Alright so, I just got news that I will in the near future, be able to set up a large (by my standards) aquarium of about 125-150 gallons. This will be my first REAL large tank and I am quite excited. So far I know that I am definitely going to be putting cichlids in this tank, and have narrowed it down to two very different species. Basically I'm thinking either frontosa burundi, OR a tiger oscar. I would greatly appreciate advice from people who have kept these fish and have set up tanks this large before (filtration, lighting,filtration, general set up, cycling, and filtration) Cheers!

Frontosa over oscars any day both great fish but fronts are stunning and amazing fish to keep I ran a couple of 2000lph externtals on my front tank with a sump.
I ran a overflow system to the sump then used 2 2000lph external filters as return pumps from the sump to the tank both with uv built in works better than anything else I've heard of or tried

I have a fluval fx5 on my 125g cichlid tank and 2 rena xp3 on my 140 juvie cichlid tank. Plan on upgrading that as they grow... But the biggest is about 3/4 inch so I have a few months. I got the fluval Fx5 on eBay for 200$.

I have a fluval fx5 on my 125g cichlid tank and 2 rena xp3 on my 140 juvie cichlid tank. Plan on upgrading that as they grow... But the biggest is about 3/4 inch so I have a few months. I got the fluval Fx5 on eBay for 200$.

Amazon has the FX5 for $214 new.....FYI

Meave said:
Amazon has the FX5 for $214 new.....FYI

I got mine like 6 months ago or so. It was new and icl everything. I like fluval bc they replaced the lid which was not letting air escape correctly :) I've been happy with it and will def invest in another.

I also use a fluval fx5 on my 125g and couldn't be happier with it. Got it several months ago for $234 on amazon.

Ok I'm going to sound like a total noob but can someone explain the whole sump concept? Please? Oh and I'm going to go with a harem of fronts if that is ok? I was thinking 1 male and 4 females? At least that's what my research has told me to go with. For tank mates maybe a couple lacefin syndontis catfish?

Catfish will be fine. I had clown loathed with my fronts. Just make sure they don't fit in their mouth or they won't last long. Don't worry about lighting, fronts live at about 40m depth, they like it dark with little traffic. Definitely stunning fish. One fish you can keep with them are moori blue dolphin, my 2nd favorite ;)

A sump is a second tank under neath your main tank.
This second tank acts as a filter and is split into sections where different filter media is placed as well as adding a huge amount more water to the total tank volume there for increasing total number of fish it improves water quality and makes takes Easter to maintain also you can put heaters and other equipment in them so there is less cables and other such things in the main tank. They work usually on a overflow system where water is pumped into the main tank from the sump and water overflows down a pipe (usually coming from the base of the tank up to water level) back into the sump

I would go with a reef ready tank with dual overflows, for filtration a wet/dry filter and a Fluval FX5 stuffed with biomax.

Frontosas would be my choice over the Oscars in a tank that size. A school of fronts in a tank in quite stunning. The group of catfish would work too.

If you search this forum there are some great build threads on sumps. I'm running a 30 gal sump on my 90 gal main .... Tank is drilled out of the rear.

So I went to my lfs today, I've been going there for a few years and they're pretty good, anyway, the owner told me to stay away from a sump because of how complicated it can get. He told me to go for an fx5 (they don't sell them so no bias there), and that should be sufficient for a 125.

Frontosas all the way!!!! There's nothing quite like a tank of frontosas. It's almost...majestic, as silly as that sounds.

Sumps have benefit that canisters can't beat and the other way around. I wouldn't say that a sump is any more complicated than a canister, anyone who ever had a leaking canister will agree ;) my $700 eheim pro2 gave me grief for 6 month and cost a fortune to replace all the seals, gasket and o-rings until I gave up.

An ehiem gave you all that trouble? I thought they were as good as it gets... Anyway, now I'm torn yet again. My mom brought up a good point though, I'll be moving out in a few years and she thinks it would be better in the long run to go for a canister.

Moving wouldn't be a decision point for me, it's not like you do it every week or fortnight(like filter maintenance). And you have to move the tank regardless

Good point. On another topic, I was thinking about heaters and possibly getting 4 250 w heaters placed around the tank (maybe 1 in the sump if I go that route) to spread out the heat. Is this ok?

Back
Top Bottom