First live plants ever!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearchumjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just bought a Rotala Indica, Bacopa Caroliniana, and some kind of brown leafed java. I can't read the name on the tag at the moment. I'm going to have fun planting them today! I'm so excited!

So here's a picture of my plants. My question is this: Each plant has a metal thing on the bottom that hold the stems in a clump. Should I remove that? And if I remove it the stems would all come apart. Also- I just stuck them down in little gravel hills. Is that how it's supposed to be done? I think I'd like to get some sand instead of having gravel but that is going to have to wait a little while. My husband is going to get me a few peices of driftwood on Monday or Tuesday and maybe some nice river rocks. I want to get some java moss but the store didn't have any.

Remove the metal thing, they will come apart but that's something that needs to happen.
Planting them is hard to explain, try YouTube.

Ok. I'll check YouTube.

I live in a desert, near a river. Instead of buying sand could I just use some sand from the desert? Could I use the Pebbles and stuff from the river bed?

I'd be very cautious, make sure there aren't any hitch hikers, but Overall, i dont think it's very safe. I would just buy some sand from Petco or petsmart:) you can leave the metal in there, I have many of my stem plants like that in my tank:) I'm just curious, what kind of lighting do you have?:)

Also, what the plant in the back on the right side? It almost looks like lavender! Love it! Nice tank by the way:D

Austin.b said:
I'd be very cautious, make sure there aren't any hitch hikers, but Overall, i dont think it's very safe. I would just buy some sand from Petco or petsmart:) you can leave the metal in there, I have many of my stem plants like that in my tank:) I'm just curious, what kind of lighting do you have?:)

I have. Fluval Chi 5gallon tank. It had some LED lights. I don't know the wattage. The tank is by a north facing window. The sun light doesn't shine through it like it does the south facing windows. Also there is a table lamp next to it and I am thinking I should get a daylight light bulb for it.

Bearchumjs said:
I have. Fluval Chi 5gallon tank. It had some LED lights. I don't know the wattage. The tank is by a north facing window. The sun light doesn't shine through it like it does the south facing windows. Also there is a table lamp next to it and I am thinking I should get a daylight light bulb for it.

My typos are awful. *I have a fluval chi 5 gallon tank. It HAS some LED lights.

Bearchumjs said:
Do you know how to plant this one? It's called trichomones javanicum (aqua fern).

You might want to pick up some root tablets as a fertilizer bec. Your gravel is not for plants. To plant, you might just want to trim the roots and just burry in substrate:)

What brand of fertilizer do you use? I burried the plants in the sand. Here's a pic of my tank setup. I just redid it today. I have used sand and pebbles.l. There is some sand under the pebbles as well. Here's a photo:

Bearchumjs said:
What brand of fertilizer do you use? I burried the plants in the sand. Here's a pic of my tank setup. I just redid it today. I have used sand and pebbles.l. There is some sand under the pebbles as well. Here's a photo:

You could use seachems root tabs or API root tabs:) just bury the root tabs under the sand or gravel next to a plant. I try to stay away from liquid ferts because I have a shrimp tank. Seachem's flourish is pretty good! Nice tank by the way! I like the sand!

Austin.b said:
You could use seachems root tabs or API root tabs:) just bury the root tabs under the sand or gravel next to a plant. I try to stay away from liquid ferts because I have a shrimp tank. Seachem's flourish is pretty good! Nice tank by the way! I like the sand!

I got the sand and pebbles from pebble beach. I boiled it for 15 minutes and then rinsed it until the water was clear. I hope it does well for my tank. I like the idea of having local decor in my tank. I am going to put in some driftwood my husband found today by the river as well after I get it all cleaned up and boiled and soaked. I'll get some fertilizer tabs this week.

Bearchumjs said:
I got the sand and pebbles from pebble beach. I boiled it for 15 minutes and then rinsed it until the water was clear. I hope it does well for my tank. I like the idea of having local decor in my tank. I am going to put in some driftwood my husband found today by the river as well after I get it all cleaned up and boiled and soaked. I'll get some fertilizer tabs this week.

Nice! Yeah, it makes your tank much more personal!:) can't wait to see some pics:D

Austin.b said:
Nice! Yeah, it makes your tank much more personal!:) can't wait to see some pics:D

Here's an updated picture. I haven't added my driftwood yet but it's looking pretty good I think. Also, I just did a big pwc so that explains all the bubbles on stuff. :). I also thinned out the Rotala because it wasnt looking good. Brown leaves and all....I have 2 Anubias in it now. I can't wait to add the driftwood! It's going to look awesome.

(first pic is side view. Second is front view.)

That rotala indica is supposed to turn red if I'm not mistaken. Also, that brown fern, is it African water fern? That and the anubias should have the rhizome above the sand. Only the smaller roots go in the sand.

Back
Top Bottom