First Nano, addition to my addiction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr86mister

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I'm a college student and have had freshwater tanks since i was born(it runs in the family) I am purchasing an Oceanic BioCube 14Gal. and I obviously plan on using for my first Saltwater. Yes, i realize i should start big but because I'm in college I am quite broke. I've been doing my research for 3 weeks now reading everything and this is what i have down.

Oceanic BioCube 14 Gallon:
Lighting-48w (10,000K & CFL) 2- 3/4W Lunar Blue, Moon Glow LED Lights (WPG=3.4)
Filtration-137GPH, surface/bottom intakes(I will be replacing the bio-balls with Loose Rubble)

Contents:
Marine Salt
Live Sand-15lbs
Cured Live Rock-15lbs (give or take a pound or two)
Hydrometer
Thermometer
Bio-Starter
Marine Lab Master Test Kit
Calcium Pro Test Lab
Renu Filter 50w
Powerhead-100gph(not sure what type exactly yet)

Possible Inhabitants:(Not total, but any mix of, I'm aware of my limitations but these are the possible choices I have been studying)

Fish: Neon Goby, Yellow or Green Clown Goby, Pygmy Angel, Ocellaris Clown Fish(Anymore that you know have please let me know)
Inverts: Turbo Snails, Nerite Snails, Bumble Bee Snails, Sexy Shrimp, Peppermint Shrimp
Corals: Zoas, Shrooms, Frogspawn and LPS

Now I'm sure i missed something. But i would love some ideas or opinions or expert advice from you guys. Fill me in with your knowledge.:-D

Last edited:
Looks like you have done your research. The only advice I would offer right now is to ditch the "bio-starter". Cycle-in-a-bottle type products are a waste of money and do nothing to prepare a tank for long-term habitation. Nothing can replace a good old fashion cycle...that just takes time. Also, add a heater, digital thermometer and perhaps a refractometer to the shopping list.

As for fish, I would skip the pygmy angel, especially if you plan on soft corals. They are not considered totally reef-safe. You have lots of other options for a third fish.

Ah, yes Brian. I meant Renu Heater 50w instead of filter. Digital thermometer yes, and a refractometer i can now add. I'm ordering from Big Als Online....amazing place. When i was in Tamarac, FL (Ft. Lauderdale area) I went to Big Als and the pet store was amazing. Anyways, http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18525/si1685116/cl0/oceanicbiocube14gallon this is what i am purchasing and shipping is only $10 from the Niagara Falls area. I've ordered from them before.

I agree on skipping the pygmy angel, but mostly because they are far too active for the footprint of any Biocube IMO.:) The other fish you listed are great choices (of course, not all of them LOL). And I'll just put in another vote for a refracto on your list of must-haves... as a PT employee of a LFS, I know how inaccurate those pesky hydrometers can be.;)

Thank you severum. I just ordered my Oceanic BioCube 14 gallon and a Zoo Med Power Sweep 212 Powerhead. With shipping it only cost me $208.46 and i should receive it by Thursday. So, i'm excited none the less. I've already found where I'm getting my LR and LS, and man oh man that stuff is expensive...lol.

Back
Top Bottom