First nano dx (12g) setup; cleaning habit question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckycat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just setup my first nano, I'm downgrading from a 90g and moved ls, lr from this tank to the nano. It looks great!

Based on scouring this forum and others I have configured the nano as follows:

1. Cassette mod and notches at the top of the intake for better surface skimming (this is a 2005 nano dx).
2. MaxiJet 900 pump to replace stock.
3. Chamber 1 filled with lr rubble, but top 1" or so is filter floss.
4. Some lr rubble at bottom, but will be putting chaeto in towards the top, cut out vinyl on back for a light.
5. Chamber 3 (return) open with exception of return pump & heater.

For those putting lr in chambers 1-3, do you ever take the rock out completely to clean? If so how often? I'm hoping my floss in chamber 1 catches most of the gunk, which I'll be replacing about once a week.

Thanks

If Nitrates become a problem, then you can try cleaning the rubble. Otherwise just leave it be. Just clean the filter floss regularly.

dskidmore said:
If Nitrates become a problem, then you can try cleaning the rubble. Otherwise just leave it be. Just clean the filter floss regularly.

That's kind of what I was figuring... i may try to siphon the lr rubble chamber occasionally to pick up free floating debris, but I think the floss will catch most of that.

Thanks!

For those putting lr in chambers 1-3, do you ever take the rock out completely to clean? If so how often?
Yes, maybe four times a year. I have the first chamber filled half way with LR rubble, chemi-pure and PURA filtration pads on top. The second is filled up completely with LR rubble. Third houses a heater, maxi-jet and the rest of the space is filled to the top with more rubble.

lando said:
For those putting lr in chambers 1-3, do you ever take the rock out completely to clean? If so how often?
Yes, maybe four times a year. I have the first chamber filled half way with LR rubble, chemi-pure and PURA filtration pads on top. The second is filled up completely with LR rubble. Third houses a heater, maxi-jet and the rest of the space is filled to the top with more rubble.

Yes I think I read your posts before, Lando, thanks for the added info. I've been thinking of adding more LR rubble to the 2nd chamber...question. Can you put the LR rubble in a filter sock (a course mesh), and then put that in a chamber, so you can easily just pull the sock out when you want to siphon out the chambers?

I was thinking about this, and what a hassle it is to take a lot of lr rubble out of those little chambers, at least for me...the concern I would have is if the sock collects junk that you then have to worry about - unless it is very, very coarse.

Are you using the LR for biofiltration, or are you trying to breed pods in there? You don't want too fine a mesh that would keep the pods from getting into the main aquarium.

dskidmore said:
Are you using the LR for biofiltration, or are you trying to breed pods in there? You don't want too fine a mesh that would keep the pods from getting into the main aquarium.

I have lr rubble in the chambers, and will be putting chaeto in the 2nd chamber. Ultimately I believe pods will grow in the chamber and in the display tank. So yes- again a coarse mesh. The idea being to take all of the lr rubble out it is pulling one string to get the bag, then siphoning what has settled on the bottom.

Can you put the LR rubble in a filter sock (a course mesh), and then put that in a chamber, so you can easily just pull the sock out when you want to siphon out the chambers?
I do not see why not. I would just make sure the mesh is not too fine.

lando said:
Can you put the LR rubble in a filter sock (a course mesh), and then put that in a chamber, so you can easily just pull the sock out when you want to siphon out the chambers?
I do not see why not. I would just make sure the mesh is not too fine.

I'll try out something and report back on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom