First Pearling woot but along came another problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I changed my light on my 2.5 gallon at work from over hanging (under cabnet) light to a PC desk lamp at 25 watts on Thursday

I came in today and low and behold I had pearling.

As this was the first time I was able to get pearling but i also noticed algae growth

So I guess my question is how do I deal with the algae

Being at work I would rather not run CO (pain in the but)

Would excel work?

I have currently 1 wisteria and 3 bamboo in the tank.

But know I have a good llight I will probably be replacing the plants with some nicer ones

Wow I sure am rambling but would love some feed back

Algea is oprotunistic so too much light combined with high amounts of nutrients will give you algea try changing your photo period. Excell works for me on my lowtech non CO2 10 gallon but i also have some fast growing stem plants to soak up the nutrients. So maybe give that a thought. in a 2.5 you wouldnt need very many stems to make a big change. What kind of alge?

I would say yeah, it's the lighting. 25W is a good amount of light on a 2.5g (i run 2x13 and can grow anything with ferts and CO2 on my 2.5). Without ferts and CO2, though, I fear you're going to have a constant struggle with algae with that much light.

Not sure what type of alge it is but its green pictured below.

I added some flourish excel and a otto

we shall see what happens I guess

Attachments

• IMG00142.jpg
    IMG00142.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG00143.jpg
    IMG00143.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG00144.jpg
    IMG00144.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 58
Looks like it could be BGA, which is actually cynobacteria and a sign of low Nitrates and/or poor flow.

This showed up only since I added the new light on Friday

Low flow interms of water flow?

I agree, cyano.

Yes, low water flow allows it to adhere, and the added light is primarily what's fueling it to grow.

Back
Top Bottom