First Planted Aquarium Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jddeal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've decided it's time for a planted aquarium. My current setup is completely artificial and slowly wearing me thin for various reasons. I've watched my clown pleco bounce along the gravel and I just feel terrible for the aquarium I've provided him. I've spent some time looking into what I need, can afford, and looks interesting to try, and what I'm looking for is a bit of advice on what I'm attempting. What I have is as follows:

Equipment:
10g 20x10x12 tank
2x10w 6500k fluorescent bulbs
5-15 powerfilter
5-15 50w tetra heater

Inhabitants:
Veiltail betta
Otocinclus
Clown Pleco
African Dwarf Frog

They all seem to be doing quite well in there among an array of plants and oranments. As far as an artificial tank goes, it's great. What I'm looking to do is add the following:

Amazon sword, dwarf sagittaria, and dwarf baby tears

My design would include 5-6 rocks of various sizes that I need to go out and find and clean. All seems well but where I'm hung up is on substrate. I'm operating on a bit of a budget so I would prefer to just use some sort of beach sand or something a bit more fine. I was wondering if it would work well just to buy a smaller bag of substrate to layer on the bottom and then pile some smaller grain/fine sand on top, or even just mix it all together and make one mixed layer.

What I'm trying to accomplish at the start is just a lightly planted aquascape that won't be in need of a DIY co2 system and countless additives to keep everything alive and growing and provide that clean, bright, lively aquarium look for my inhabitants, all while keeping costs as low as possible.

The only other thing I was wondering about was cycling. My current tank is approaching a month in and I haven't had anything spike except a noticeable increase in nitrites. When I do go to make this new aquascape, should I move my friends to the 3g I have and expect to keep them there for a few weeks or is there a way I could create this tank and maybe just use the original water to seed the new tank to reduce the cycling time?

Tell me what yall think!

Justin

if you can, try to return the dwarf baby tears because they will not survive with compact fluorescent bulbs.

jddeal said:
So I've decided it's time for a planted aquarium. My current setup is completely artificial and slowly wearing me thin for various reasons. I've watched my clown pleco bounce along the gravel and I just feel terrible for the aquarium I've provided him. I've spent some time looking into what I need, can afford, and looks interesting to try, and what I'm looking for is a bit of advice on what I'm attempting. What I have is as follows:

Equipment:
10g 20x10x12 tank
2x10w 6500k fluorescent bulbs
5-15 powerfilter
5-15 50w tetra heater

Inhabitants:
Veiltail betta
Otocinclus
Clown Pleco
African Dwarf Frog

They all seem to be doing quite well in there among an array of plants and oranments. As far as an artificial tank goes, it's great. What I'm looking to do is add the following:

Amazon sword, dwarf sagittaria, and dwarf baby tears

My design would include 5-6 rocks of various sizes that I need to go out and find and clean. All seems well but where I'm hung up is on substrate. I'm operating on a bit of a budget so I would prefer to just use some sort of beach sand or something a bit more fine. I was wondering if it would work well just to buy a smaller bag of substrate to layer on the bottom and then pile some smaller grain/fine sand on top, or even just mix it all together and make one mixed layer.

What I'm trying to accomplish at the start is just a lightly planted aquascape that won't be in need of a DIY co2 system and countless additives to keep everything alive and growing and provide that clean, bright, lively aquarium look for my inhabitants, all while keeping costs as low as possible.

The only other thing I was wondering about was cycling. My current tank is approaching a month in and I haven't had anything spike except a noticeable increase in nitrites. When I do go to make this new aquascape, should I move my friends to the 3g I have and expect to keep them there for a few weeks or is there a way I could create this tank and maybe just use the original water to seed the new tank to reduce the cycling time?

Tell me what yall think!

Justin

I would upgrade the light bulbs to at least 20w each

In regards to the setup, I haven't purchased any of the new plants or sand/substrate yet.

Is there a carpet like plant I could purchase similar to the baby tears then? I really like the look of the small short clover as a carpet.

Pearl grass is similar to baby tears. So I've heard

I've revised my three plant list hopefully towards a less demanding and difficult trio:

Amazon sword (background)
Golden moneywort (mid/background)
Dwarf hairgrass (mid/foreground)

I definitely don't want to create a complete carpet of hairgrass, but instead more like 1/3 of the tank with a small rock lining to at least semi-prevent it from spreading, which would also be complimented with trimming/pulling to prevent too much spread. My goal with the moneywort (or at least my midground plant) is to line the rocks I place in the tank and grow up the side a little bit. I'd like to have three different leaf types in my tank too (thin blade, thicker blade, clover). Do you think these three will be a smarter choice?

Thanks for the help and suggestions so far guys.

Back
Top Bottom