First planted tank: aquascaping woes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello experts,

I want to start a 29 gal planted tank. I got my plants and my tank set up, put plants in and then left for a 2 week vacation. When I returned the plants have grown quite a bit!

But I put the plants in my tank just to try them out, and now I have some plants growing well but I have no aquascape in mind!

Any ideas on how to aquascape my tank would be great!!!! I think the tank looks dreadful.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The tank is low light low tech. I'm using the light that came with my hood.

My substrate is plain pea gravel.

I occasionally fertilize with seachem.

My water is hard with a ph of 7.6+

The plants I currently have are:
-lots of water wisteria
-15-20 stems of red ludwigia (which I love and I hope it fills in more)
-4 small java ferns attached to rocks
-a little java moss tied to pieces of shale with the intention of having it attach
- a little bit of floating hornwort to diffuse the light

My understanding of aquascaping is to keep the number of plant species low. Since I already have wisteria and red ludwigia, what is another cheap low light plant? I was thinking jungle val, since it's color and leaf shape would provide a contrast. But I don't know where to put it!

The fish I will stock with are: platies, guppies, pygmy cories and a large school of small fish (tetras or cherry barbs or danios).

Aquascapers, please help!!!!! Thanks so much!!!

As an amatuer planted tank enthusiast and wannabe aquascaper, I am not focusing on the rules... I just started with a theme and had fun... I said I want an amazon river underwater view... The fish I am going to use could inhabit the area and some of the plants are from the region, but mostly I have a plant zoo. I love it, I am the one looking at it most and if someone asks specifics, I will say its suppposed to be like an amazon underwater scene and they will still have no clue if its correct or not... unless you get hardcore into aquascaping I wouldnt try too hard... and the best aquascapers have "zoo" aquariums with which to pick the right plants from...

I'm clueless on 'scaping but I'm told to use the rule of thirds. You can google aquascaping and it should show up.

My tanks are Collectoritis jungles. My newest tank once it cycles I may do mostly Crypts.

My current Shrimp Jungle plus my favorite Crypt, maybe C. Lucens ?

View attachment 51542

View attachment 51543

Your tank looks beautiful! You can't be clueless, I love it!

I keep making my tank looks symmetrical... which just looks weird.... I think I'll try the collectoritis approach with my new plants! And yknow, I've been intimidated by crypts but maybe I have the courage to try a really easy one.

There are a lot of different styles of aquascaping varying from iwagumi, island, jungle, and many more the first part to think about is where the tank will be mainly viewed from.

Once you have established this play around with some ideas to get a picture of how and where you would like your focal point to be, this could be a piece of wood,rock or some form of plant whether it's a red stem plant or other, the rule of thirds is a great tool to use if you want, personally I have never seriously used it but when I was playing about it did come in handy.

Depth and scale is a key part in creating a pleasing aquascape get these right and it will be more pleasing on the eye than if everything is on the same level. Try standing over the tank and imagining 3-4 maybe more slices going from back to front, picture plants and hardscape that can sit in these slices, one piece of drifteood for example might sit in 2-3 slices with stem plants or vals towards the back anubias java fern Bolbitis or moss towards the middle and front and either carpet plants or low lying plants in the foreground, by creating this depth it improves the look of the scape simply by giving the eyes a chance to focus on the different slices.

Scale is a tricky one to get right but when you do everything fits in nicely, for example a tank full of delicate small leaves next to a large pleco will look out of place but with the same plants against a small shoal of neons makes the scene easier and more pleasurable on the eyes if that makes sense?

Having depth and scale just right is a very hard task but creating a pleasing scape is not out of reach for anyone. Create something you like as it's you who has to look and take care of it once it's finished, I've been through many many different scapes and your only ever happy with them for a short while before you want to change things up and the more you do the better you get at knowing your tank and where things grow and look best, it's just all one big learning curve so never get down about it and think you don't know what your doing because no one does when they first try out, keep going and you'll get there just remember scale and depth as you go and you'll find it a lot more fun to do.

I enjoy scaping with a glass of wine and some music taking lots of breaks so I can go back to it with fresh eyes I'm no expert trust me I'm just travelling the same road ad you!! I have attached a few pics and see if you can gain a sense of depth and scale

Attachments

• image-260671616.jpg
    image-260671616.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 161
  • image-2836365097.jpg
    image-2836365097.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 161
Welshy said:
There are a lot of different styles of aquascaping varying from iwagumi, island, jungle, and many more the first part to think about is where the tank will be mainly viewed from.

Once you have established this play around with some ideas to get a picture of how and where you would like your focal point to be, this could be a piece of wood,rock or some form of plant whether it's a red stem plant or other, the rule of thirds is a great tool to use if you want, personally I have never seriously used it but when I was playing about it did come in handy.

Depth and scale is a key part in creating a pleasing aquascape get these right and it will be more pleasing on the eye than if everything is on the same level. Try standing over the tank and imagining 3-4 maybe more slices going from back to front, picture plants and hardscape that can sit in these slices, one piece of drifteood for example might sit in 2-3 slices with stem plants or vals towards the back anubias java fern Bolbitis or moss towards the middle and front and either carpet plants or low lying plants in the foreground, by creating this depth it improves the look of the scape simply by giving the eyes a chance to focus on the different slices.

Scale is a tricky one to get right but when you do everything fits in nicely, for example a tank full of delicate small leaves next to a large pleco will look out of place but with the same plants against a small shoal of neons makes the scene easier and more pleasurable on the eyes if that makes sense?

Having depth and scale just right is a very hard task but creating a pleasing scape is not out of reach for anyone. Create something you like as it's you who has to look and take care of it once it's finished, I've been through many many different scapes and your only ever happy with them for a short while before you want to change things up and the more you do the better you get at knowing your tank and where things grow and look best, it's just all one big learning curve so never get down about it and think you don't know what your doing because no one does when they first try out, keep going and you'll get there just remember scale and depth as you go and you'll find it a lot more fun to do.

I enjoy scaping with a glass of wine and some music taking lots of breaks so I can go back to it with fresh eyes I'm no expert trust me I'm just travelling the same road ad you!! I have attached a few pics and see if you can gain a sense of depth and scale

Loving ur DW what type of wood??

Welshy said:

THANK YOU so much for the advice!!! I needed this, i really appreciate it. Your words were encouraging! And your tanks are so prettyful!

No problem glad I could help, feel free to DM me or what ever If you ever need a bit of a helping hand I'm always free for some advice if needs be.

Sorry I missed the post above the wood us Redmoor rootwood

After browsing the web today I feel a new scape coming shortly using the same materials and plants just feel like doing something different....bored!!!! Lol see I'm never happy with my scapes and they never last more than a few months!!

You may find yourself replacing the Water Wisteria with something that is a bit more "restrained" in its growth - because as someone who has experimented with both Wisteria and Anacharis - they both grow like weeds.

And weeds are great for excess nutrients - not so good for aquascapes.

I was just given 60 lbs of eco complete. It's time to re-scape! I realized one reason why my tank was such an eyesore was that the gravel was too bright for me. The tank was sitting in a really dark corner and the brightness of the gravel made my eyes squint!

I was also given 4 more stems of wisteria (how much more do I need?!) and 5 jungle vals.

Plant list:

a few bunches of java moss
15 stems of red ludwigia
5 stems of a narrow leaf (???) ludwigia
5 stems of purple cabomba
2 stems of green cabomba
4 baby java ferns
lots of hornwort
1 moss ball
20 stems of wisteria
5 jungle vals
1 clipping of subwassertang- I don't know what to do with it!

4 medium sized pieces of shale.

I'm overwhelmed because I don't know where to put all these plants :(

I want to find some more rocks. I feel the need. At least rocks of different sizes.
The left side of my tank is often obstructed from view, so I want to encourage the fish to swim towards the middle or right side of the tank. And I don't know how to add height to the scape, so I figured getting more rocks and piling them (safely) would create some visual interest???

Aquascaping makes me frustrated :(

Ehem!! What is one of the first rules?!!! Don't get frustrated or you will rush in and be unhappy with the results! Take your time plan it out any way you want,personally I take some tape and Mark out the dimensions of my tank on the floor outside then use all my pieces of wood etc to map out the hardscape plan, the reason being staring in to a tank your not happy with can be a soul crushing experience so nothing goes in the tank unless I'm reasonably happy with it first

Welshy said:
Ehem!! What is one of the first rules?!!! Don't get frustrated or you will rush in and be unhappy with the results! Take your time plan it out any way you want,personally I take some tape and Mark out the dimensions of my tank on the floor outside then use all my pieces of wood etc to map out the hardscape plan, the reason being staring in to a tank your not happy with can be a soul crushing experience so nothing goes in the tank unless I'm reasonably happy with it first

Thanks so much for the tip! That's a fantastic idea! Much better than creating sketches that are not to scale.
I really appreciate your advice!

Back
Top Bottom