First Planted Tank - Timer Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeybabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys, this is my first time posting in this section of the forums because its my first planted tank :) .. i attached some pictures just to give you an idea of what plants i'm working with... my brother got me the plants so i don't know much about them but he said they are slow growing plants (and aquatic too)...

here's a link to the lighting system i am using on the tank:

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5...-Output_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_LET_Lighting

i have all the flourish line of products for dosing the aquarium and found this chart:

http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantDoseChart.pdf

i also found this:

Seachem Dosing Calculator/Chart - Fertilizing - Aquatic Plant Central

im still unsure whether i need to be dosing every single product in the tank weekly or not... i have not done a lot of research on planted tanks yet, but i feel like i have a good start since i have good substrate, lighting, and the fertilizers with adequate filtration...

this is the substrate i am using:

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/FlouriteBlackSand.html

if anyone has any pointers let me know

but my main question now is... i'm using a timer with those lights that i linked and the timer has 2 event modes, i was wondering if i could put the lights on for 8 hours a day but split them up into 4 hour sections... so right now my lighting schedule is:

10:15am on - 2:15pm off
9:15pm on - 1:15am off

repeat

is this healthy for the plants/fish? is there any negative effect of not doing 8 consecutive hours? how many hours would be sufficient with this type of lighting and plants? i want to minimize algae.

thank you everyone and i really want to be successful with the planted tanks. i read how i might not even need a co2 system with the tank i have. its a 55 gallon. personally i feel like its got a good ammount of plants...

also does anyone know any fast growing plants? i hear water wisteria is fast.. i need something that clown loaches wont eat :)

thanks everyone!!

Attachments

• IMG_0814.jpg
    IMG_0814.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0815.jpg
    IMG_0815.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0816.jpg
    IMG_0816.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0817.jpg
    IMG_0817.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 81
A lot of people have success with 4 on/off/on. One way to find out is by trying it yourself.

I just starting doing it to see if I can reduce the algae.

A lot of people have success with 4 on/off/on. One way to find out is by trying it yourself.

I just starting doing it to see if I can reduce the algae.

thanks a lot for this info... after i posted this i read in other reads about the 4 on/off/on technique and found out i was not alone :)

Can anyone else touch upon the other subjects I brought up in the post? :)

The timer issue is resolved, now I'm just a bit unsure about dosing the fertalizers and if i need to follow a strict routine with it or not?

Back
Top Bottom