First planted tank.. what to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raceguy333

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am planning on starting up a planted tank for some dwarf cichlids (apitsos) in a few weeks, and would like some suggestions on plants.

It will be a 15gal tank. I have a 40W compact flourescent to put on it. Flourite substrate. Depending on the tap water (I will test it when I get back to school, this tank is going in the dorm room) I might run peat in the filter to lower the pH to around or just below 7. I might also tinker with some DIY CO2 if needed.

I would like plants that are native to South America to keep this close to a biotope, and plants that will survive in the slightly acidic water.

here are the plants I have found and thought about... any more suggestions and/or comments on what I have found are welcome.

hornwart (floating)
corkscrew vallis
pygmy or narrow leaf chain sword
possibly some stargrass

Thanks!

If you are considering adding a DIY CO2 system to your new 15G, you might want to hold off on the peat idea.

Both CO2 and peat will lower the pH. Alone, each of these things would do a good job lowering your pH to a desireable level. Together they may crash the pH.

Since you are considering a planted South American Biotype with high light (3WPG), I think you will be better served running CO2 into your 15G as opposed to filtering through peat.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom