First post!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luma21

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone I am new to the forum and I have a few questions.
I have a 60 gallon tall tank with white silica sand as a substrate. I have a few pieces of driftwood in my tank, a pile of slate in the corner and two clay pots.
Lights- two high output bulbs, each 54 watts totaling 108 watts. 4 feet long.
Filter- whisper 60 power filter
Plants- a few Anubias Nana, Java Fern, Amazons Swords, and planted Anacharis.
Fish- three Angels (bodies are all about the size of a half dollar coin), 4 glow light tetras (yes I know I should have a few more, haven't been able to get to the pet store), 2 German Blue Rams, 3 bristle nose plecos, 2 guppies and a snail.
The tank is about 9 months old and I do about a 20 gallon water change once a week. The dimensions are 4ft x 1ft x 2ft. And my stand it's kind of small inside.
Parameters- ammonia, nitrates, nitrites 0. pH- a little below 7.
Lights are on for about 9 hours a day. On a timer. Fish are fed once a day, either with flake food or live black worms.

My questions are:
1- can I put more fish in it?
2- I've had German Blue Rams before and I know they can be hard to keep and I've even had them breed before in my tank but they never last for some reason. Any other tips? And I want to be able to breed them.
3- I want to switch to a canister filter and my stand is pretty small inside, any ideas for a small canister filter for this sized tank that might fit? (And I want it to be hidden).
4- my plants don't seem to be growing very well, I used some plant tabs about 3 months ago can I put some more in?

I think that's it, sorry for the large amount of info lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi and welcome to AA, 9 months in and it seems like you have everything under control. For your stocking question you can use this link http://aqadvisor.com, just plug in your your tank, filter, and current stock and it will tell you if your over or not. It's just a recommendation, but only you know your tank.

The sand substrate will need root tabs every 3 months, especially for the swords. Is the java fern and anubias tied to driftwood or rocks? They will die if they are buried in the sand.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah I'll pick up some tabs soon than. And my Anubias is actually growing well. They are attached to my driftwood. But my fern is not attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could totally add more fish. The tank sounds amazing!

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Also, fertilizers for the plants and liquid carbon. For rams, feed live or frozen for a while and separate the eggs when you get them. Keep water warm and clean

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Back
Top Bottom