First Reef Aquarium Progress thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andari

Aquarium Advice Regular
I followed the lead of someone else decided to post a thread for my reef aquarium progress. Hopefully I'll be able to see more progress if I look back now and again.. :)

I'll add a list of my Equipment soon.

Attachments

• day2_763.jpg
    day2_763.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 25
Great you will have a lot of fun. Let us know what you are planning and we can help so you do not waste any money!

I ordered 40lbs of Caribbean live rock today to add to the 25 lbs of fiji and Tonga I already have and when it gets here on thursday I'll be adding that to cure it. Slow and steady is my motto on this one.

I had a friend that just got his carribean LR and it was pretty nasty so you might want to wash it off pretty good first to get alot of that mud,sand and green dead stuff off. It will still have plenty of die off on it.

Oh yes, agree. Sometimes you do not realize how much gets in live rock. If you were to take LR out of an established tank a ton of debris is in there, just another reason good flow is crucial.

Do I need to wash it with SW or is FW ok? Man I wish this stuff would get here. I'd like to see something in this sucker other then water and sand. OH and speaking of sand how many inches of substrate is good? I don't want to put the rock in unless I'm sure I've got a good enough sandbed.
I added about 3 more bags on top of what is shown in the picture above.

Andari said:
Do I need to wash it with SW or is FW ok? Man I wish this stuff would get here. I'd like to see something in this sucker other then water and sand. OH and speaking of sand how many inches of substrate is good? I don't want to put the rock in unless I'm sure I've got a good enough sandbed.
I added about 3 more bags on top of what is shown in the picture above.
it depends..do you want bottom dwelling fish like jawfish? if so a deep subtrate (4-6 inches) is good!

The subject of how deep of a sandbed is a personal preference. I have maybe 2-3 inches in my 55G and about 4-5 inches in my 125G. Remember, when placing the rock, if you plan on getting sand sifters/stirrers/burrowers, make sure the rock is shifted to the bottom of the tank. If you don't, it may topple....

I actually ended up varying the depth of my sand I decided to not make it all the same. So there are places that are very deep and others that are much less but none less then a couple inches. Plan on adding a new picture today.

LR photo day 3

lr3yo1.jpg

lr1ii0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom