first saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigredd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey i'm starting my first saltwater tank and i'm thinking of going with a 120 gallon reef tank I have about 7k$ to spend and I'm looking for any and all advice. My good friend recently moved back to town and has offered to helpme since he has always had them but I don't want to be reliant on his advice

120g and 7k to spend i sure wish i had that right now id be stoked.
i am fairly new but everyone says to plan on adding 1.5-2 pounds of LR to the tank with some sand to give about 1.5-2 inches of cover fill her up and begin the cycle WITHOUT FISH but an ammonia source like a table shrimp in a nylon or just thrown in??? or pure ammonia(hard to get now) again i am a beginner but i think that can help a lil bit to kickstart your research and let others chime in and add alot more useful info than i can begin to think of

Since there is lots of information on cycling and such, I will straight skip that and look at equipment. What are you planning on having in your tank? Will it be fish only or are you looking to have corals? If you'll be housing corals, will it be softies only or will you be looking towards LPS and SPS? Are you considering having a sump for your tank?

Since there is lots of information on cycling and such, I will straight skip that and look at equipment. What are you planning on having in your tank? Will it be fish only or are you looking to have corals? If you'll be housing corals, will it be softies only or will you be looking towards LPS and SPS? Are you considering having a sump for your tank?

I'm planning on having a reef tank i don't really know what kind of corals yet thats some of the advice i need. As far as my tank goes here is a list of what I've bought so far keep in mind i really don't know what I'm talking about and I'm getting this from a receipt

120 gallon tank with stand
ab reef sump 150
sup mag drive 12 pump
2 ehm 200watt heater
aga overflow kit
2 sic voyager 3 1200 gph
esu dual power center
50lbs live rock purple 50 lbs live rock white
esh cone skimmer
120 lbs of sand

Also i bought a lighting enclosure with 2 250 watt mh with 2 t5

You might need more sand. If I remember correctly its usually 2lbs per gallon depending on if it's a regular size tank versus tall.

Also- don't see any power heads

And you will need more rock but if you have live already (hopefully in water still) you can just buy base rock to seed. If you want a reef tank it should be 1.5-2 lbs per gallon.

And since you are running mh you will need to look into a chiller- because of the price you can look on craigslist as well

Well with the lighting you have you should be able to keep any coral you want but you may want another circulation pump. you will want 40-50x water volume for flow (higher end if keeping sps) and you will also want more rock which if you already bought that much live then get about 50 lbs of base rock.. also some people have mixed opinions but if you have the budget for it get a Uv sterilizer. Once you get into stocking corals you may want to get some reactors too.

But before doing all that if this tank Is still empty I HIGHLY recommend you drill it and ditch the HOB overflows

It will only take a couple minutes once you have the drill bit

But before doing all that if this tank Is still empty I HIGHLY recommend you drill it and ditch the HOB overflows

The tank came pre drilled so i don't have to worry about that. Also i bought the chiller I'm just waiting on everything to be delivered on saturday. I really need advice on where to start like with fish or corals or inverts. Im confused on what to add first.

Don't worry about anything until your cycle is over. That will give you about a month to do a ton of research on what kind of tank it is going to be. I always suggest finding one thing that you can't live without and making the tank revolve around that with things that are compatible with it.

Sniperhank said:
Don't worry about anything until your cycle is over. That will give you about a month to do a ton of research on what kind of tank it is going to be. I always suggest finding one thing that you can't live without and making the tank revolve around that with things that are compatible with it.

+1 find your centerpiece and go from there

Back
Top Bottom