First tank 220 gal (US)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leopardfrog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Setting up my first tank. Its been a while in the making. Aquariums ltd aquarium, custom steel stand made at a local fabricators. Fluval FX5, 2x150w TMC growbeams, 3x Fluval e 300w.

Currently fishless cycling at 24.5'c.

Will be stocking with South Americans. Not quite a biotope due to the planting.

Also picked up a bargain 10gal nano I'm setting up for a betta. That's almost cycled after only 3 days.

I'll try get a photo up but got a lot of bloom on the big tank.

Ok, here are a few pictures, still waiting for the redmoor to sink?!

Attachments

• IMAG0457_zpsedcec463.jpg
    IMAG0457_zpsedcec463.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMAG0458_zpsb9e1a201.jpg
    IMAG0458_zpsb9e1a201.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMAG0462_zps9dcbf5ef.jpg
    IMAG0462_zps9dcbf5ef.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMAG0461_zps6fcc4c7a.jpg
    IMAG0461_zps6fcc4c7a.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 84
Cheers.

Hopefully the wood will sink soon, its been a week. Got quite a lot of what looks like cynobacteria? Its like a velvety coating on the wood and some on the gravel.

Cheers.

Hopefully the wood will sink soon, its been a week. Got quite a lot of what looks like cynobacteria? Its like a velvety coating on the wood and some on the gravel.

Wood that has not been submerged before will get a fuzzy coating on the wood, it won't hurt anything just looks bad. If you'd like you can take the wood out scrub it with hot water and stiff bristled brush, then place it back into the aquarium. Also I would consider adding a 2nd FX5 for a tank that large.

The tank looks great though!I love that lightning/hood set up, I'd be interested on seeing more photos/ getting more info on it.

Thanks for the tips. I had the same problem in the 10gal and did just that, took out the mopani and scrubbed it. I was wondering if the one fx5 would be enough. With all my substrate and wood etc I guess I'm nearer 750l. So getting 2x tank volume per hour. Its cycling ok after only a week, probably removing around 6ppm ammonia in 48hrs. If I can get it removing 3-5ppm in 24hr its probably ok for my stocking levels. The fx5 canister has a huge capacity. I do have another external cristalprofi I could add as I was debating setting up a refugium/shrimp tank underneath.

The hood and frame I did myself. I'll get some better pics up, maybe in the hardware section?

Thanks for the tips. I had the same problem in the 10gal and did just that, took out the mopani and scrubbed it. I was wondering if the one fx5 would be enough. With all my substrate and wood etc I guess I'm nearer 750l. So getting 2x tank volume per hour. Its cycling ok after only a week, probably removing around 6ppm ammonia in 48hrs. If I can get it removing 3-5ppm in 24hr its probably ok for my stocking levels. The fx5 canister has a huge capacity. I do have another external cristalprofi I could add as I was debating setting up a refugium/shrimp tank underneath.

The hood and frame I did myself. I'll get some better pics up, maybe in the hardware section?

What stock are you considering? I would like to see a detailed break down of your stand/hood either in a thread or PM me. I've been considering a setup that is similar to yours.

Stock is likely to be....

12 adolfoi corydoras
20 lemon tetras
10 buenos aires tetra
2 leopard frog plecs
50 shrimp of some sort
Pair panduro apistogramma

I'll write up something on the hood and post it up.

Just stocked the 10gal, the betta really doesn't like onion snails. He keeps posturing and displaying toward them. Keeps him away from the shrimp and gobys though.

Stock is likely to be....

12 adolfoi corydoras
20 lemon tetras
10 buenos aires tetra
2 leopard frog plecs
50 shrimp of some sort
Pair panduro apistogramma

Sounds like a good stock list my concerns would be as follows the shrimp could end up being snacks and Buenos aires will eat plants like there is no tomorrow, not even moss is safe with them! You could house multiple pairs of Apisto in that tank if you wanted to or maybe add Gymnogeophagus or the smaller species of Geophagus.

I figured a few shrimps would get caught. They'll be the first additions, plants arrive from holland next week. There should be lots of cover for them.

I'd like a couple pairs of apistogramma actually. I knew buenos aires nibbled, but not to that extent. Don't geophagus tend to dig a lot? I'm using tropica substrate and its quite clay based so would cloud a lot if they dug too hard.

May rethink a second pair of apistos then. Maybe some cacautoides as I'm a bit new to this. Any geophagus that don't dig too much?

I knew buenos aires nibbled, but not to that extent.

I have some in a cichlid tank and they have eaten all my hornwort, Val's, frog bit and moss down to nothing in no time flat! I find once one fish takes a bite the rest follow suit and just tear what ever the plant is to shreds. Reminds me of a miniature school of piranha.

Don't geophagus tend to dig a lot? I'm using tropica substrate and its quite clay based so would cloud a lot if they dug too hard.

They do so if you are using actual planting substrate than I would forgo the Geos. Dicrossus maculatus and/or a species of Laetacara "dwarf Acara" would look good in that tank to with the Apistos.

Had a look and those look nice. Got any suggestions for a South American algae water? I hear ottos can be difficult to keep?

Back
Top Bottom