First Test Readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkiegirl94

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone~ Today i purchased some 5-in-one test strips to see how my tank is doing on the 5th day in cycling. Here's the results:

Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0-0.5 range
pH 7.2-7.8 range
GH 300
KH 80-120?

Can someone help me out a little with determining results and what to buy to stabilize pH and other hazardous levels? Thanks~

NOthing needed to stabilize PH; yours is fine where it is. Messing with it can cause more harm than good.

Are there fish in the tank? What size tank and what fish are in there? What's the ammonia reading? FYI strips aren't that accurate; you'd be better off with a liquid test kit.

Have you tested your tap water for nitrite, nitrate and ammonia? If not, do so first. That will tell us whether the nitrites are coming from the tap or the tank.

There's no fish, i put some dechlorinating solution...i don't know ammonia readings...i don't have a kit either...grrr...serves me right for shopping at wal-mart...>_<

Have you added an ammonia source to feed your good bacteria? Without one, your tank has not even started the cycling process yet. The nitrite reading maybe your tap water or its just simply an inaccurate reading. You may want to check out Amazon for the API freshwater master test kit- its $10+ dollars cheaper than most lfs. I agree with Librarygirl as well- dont touch your ph because its fine! Please check out the blue higlighted link under Librarygilrs signature "new empty tank"- its the guide to fishless cycling. Please ask if you have any questions! :)

Back
Top Bottom