First Time Aquarium Owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So just an update I said I would post I have been checking my aquarium I did a 50pct water change on Monday and added some fish food into the aquarium. On Tuesday early morning I checked and my ammonia was at .25ppm and that night I checked and the ammonia was gone, there was an extremely small amount of Nitrite and my Nitrate level was at 20ppm. I tested again today and the Ammonia was gone there was still an extremely small amount of Nitrites and my Nitrate was still at 20ppm. At this point am I virtually done with cycling after the next water change? This will be heading into week 4. The reason im asking is my Nitrates are growing and with a 50pct water change was cut in half.

Im not a fan of using fish food as an ammonia source. You need to be cycling out 2ppm in 24 hours, or 1ppm if you plan on stocking lightly to start out. With fish food you have no idea how much to put in to get to this level, how long it takes to break down to ammonia etc. I think a rule of thumb is to daily feed as much fish food as you would if you had a tank full of fish.

Personally i would either use ammonium chloride as an ammonia source (eg Dr Tims Ammonium Chloride) so you can accurately dose or go with a fish in cycle, done properly. If you are keen to get fish in there, put a few fish in, monitor water parameters, and change water when needed.

Nice looking tank BTW.

Thanks the sword in the back right is transitioning to its submerged form and I will cut the old leaves off once the new ones full grow and the dwarf sag is done melting but im not willing to cut the extremely long ones down yet till it establishes awhile longer. I will take the advice you gave me to heart and will do the best. I would prefer waiting as long as possible for fish since planting the tank I have found I enjoy the plants more then fish :)

Revisiting 16 days later

So it has been 16 days since I last gave an update. My aquarium readings are fine and about 8 days ago I added 12 amano shrimp into the aquarium. No deaths, and a few molts later then are doing all just fantastic. I have had zero issues their bodies have remained clear and not cloudy and seem to be really thriving. I got them to battle some staghorn which they are at least picking at it but to be more effective I would probably need to get more. It hasn't really spread out of control and since its a low tech tank adding co2 to it isnt really an option atm. I am going to increase the water flow some since it seems to be only growing on 2 select plants on the left side of the aquarium, and I dont see the water pushing over there. Anyway just giving up a much delayed update.

Back
Top Bottom