First time for a decent sized tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markteaa

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello! So my previous tank was a 1.5 g with an attached filter. Yesterday I found a large tank with a top in my garage. So just finding it, I'm not exactly sure the size. It's is somewhere between 20-30gs. Anyways can I get some advice?
1) my tank top is not a solid plastic. It's is a wired top. Is that an issue?
2) I have three fish. Can I start cycling with them in it? Tank has been sitting with water for 24 hrs with water conditioner in it. No filter yet. Have to wait until Saturday.
3) cycling tips please?
4)What should I use to test the water?
5) I know I need a filter, what else?
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I know when I was looking to start a tank that this was super helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Measure the thickness of the glass along with the dimensions. There are glass thickness calculators for aquariums out there that will let you know what thickness the glass should be.

Some tanks are made for other animals and aren't suitable for holding water.

What's unsuitable about it?

What's unsuitable about it?

If the glass isn't thick enough the tank could fail. The fact that it has a wire lid means it wasn't used for fish. The tank is probably fine, but it's better to be safe than sorry. A small tank like a 30g could cause thousands in damages if it catastrophically failed.

If the glass isn't thick enough the tank could fail. The fact that it has a wire lid means it wasn't used for fish. The tank is probably fine, but it's better to be safe than sorry. A small tank like a 30g could cause thousands in damages if it catastrophically failed.

+1 for you sir

Oh. The class appears to be think. It's been with my family for a while. My grandpa actually made the top because I found the tank years ago and used it for a lizard. But yeah it passed the 24 hour test with water in it so should be good. Do you think the top will be ok or do I need to buy a new one?

Oh. The class appears to be think. It's been with my family for a while. My grandpa actually made the top because I found the tank years ago and used it for a lizard. But yeah it passed the 24 hour test with water in it so should be good. Do you think the top will be ok or do I need to buy a new one?

Yeah but you might still want to measure it because what would you rather have?
A tank that was measured and you're bummed cause you can't use it.
Or
A tank that leaked and went all over the place along with your fishes and decor and gravel etc etc.
not trying to burst your bubble or anything, we just want to make sure you're not wasting money and ruining your floor with aquarium water in the long run.
As for the hood, you might want to replace it since it might not have the cut outs for the filter, Heater, correct lighting(for what you want/need), etc etc. Cause if it's a tank designed for a reptile of some sort the light might be designed to heat up the tank pretty well and you don't want that to happen to your fish.

No I appreciate the input. I just asked my mother as the tank was originally hers. She said before I got to it it was hers which she used for her fish in our old house which is good news:) so back on to track, can I get any assistance with my previous questions please?

You can get tips pretty cheap on Amazon. I would switch it because like someone else mentioned the cuts outs for the filter and heater will be there.

There is a whole thread on fish less cycle. You can go that route or you can move them and all the gravel mixed with new and the old filter with a new one. A fish in cycle. It can be done however it takes a lot of work, daily water changes, and testing the water parameters I would say at least 2x a day. The fish less takes longer but there is no risk to the current fish you have. Fish in can be risky if you don't have the time to do all the checks and water changes. It's really personal preference and what you can do when you are upgrading like that. There are a few sticky threads on this- on my phone right now so I can't link them but someone else might be able to

Test: definitely go liquid. Api master kit. It will have everything you need. Don't do a fish in cycle (move them now) until you have it

You will need a filter- I suggest getting one rated higher than what you have as a tank. I
Like if it is a 20g filter get one rated for a 30g. I have the Aqua clear filters on mine and like it. I suggest that type where there are seperate parts- a sponge, room for carbon or purigen- so you can seperate all the parts out. Imo it is better than the cartridge ones.

Heater and thermometer

Light and hood.

What type of fish do you have? And are you thinking live plants?

No I appreciate the input. I just asked my mother as the tank was originally hers. She said before I got to it it was hers which she used for her fish in our old house which is good news:) so back on to track, can I get any assistance with my previous questions please?

That's great news. I would hate to hear you couldn't use it :(. Okay well for cycling tips: Don't add any fish, I think they'll be fine for now where they're at. Try and buy some tetra safestart because it works wonders for cycling tanks. I used it for two different tanks and it worked amazing. Try and set up the tank with everything you need first before adding fish. I know it's overwhelming to have to wait on the tank but trust me, you'll be happier in the long run. Set it up all nice. Get a filter before the tetra safestart so whenever you add it, it'll flow thoroughly to your filter and it'll be so great. People have recommended getting the API master test kit for freshwater but I have the test strips that are cheaper but I heard they're not accurate. Get a heater suitable for your tank and fish. What type of fish do you have? That'll help when I figure that out. Get some smooth gravel or sand, whatever you prefer. I kind of try to stay away from sand as it can make the tank cloudy after water changes or vacuuming and it also can cause algae easier. A gravel vacuum is highly recommended. Decor and maybe some fake plants for now unless you're interested and have the right tools for live plants. I think you should set the tank up before you add the tetra safestart and just for safety, test the water maybe 12-24 hours later then go and add fish. And adding a bit of your water/gravel can speed up the cycling process. This is a lot of procedures so ask more questions cause I'm sure I missed some.

Appreciate the input alot. Right now I have a rainbow a rainbow shark, one neon tetra and a golden killie I think is his name. I have a cartridge from my current filter and gravel to match what I have in my new tank. Also currently have one live plant(forgot the name). Sorry if I'm not answering any questions I'm on my iPad. I'm leaving to go home now, so I'll be able to answer again and better in about 1 hour :)

Rainbow sharks get really big and aggressive once they are older. You might want to consider trading him for something else. Neons are happiest jn groups of 6 or more so definitely once you get the new one up and cycled add some more :)

That being said neons can be hit or miss so I would cycle the new tank first. They aren't the easiest to cycle with

I spent my day researching behavior and tank mates appropriate for my little buddy. He doesn't seem to have an aggressive nature and he was doing good in a small 1.5 gal tank with two others so I'm gonna hold on to him for a while. If he does get to big my aunt has a 150 g tank so maybe she'll take him in. It said it would be wise to avoid bottom feeders. I know my poor lone tetra. As soon as my new tank is all set I'm going to get a little school in there of 5 or 6. Found a filter at pet co that uses suction cups and a heater that the wire can slip through the opening I have on my top. Thanks again for the advice!

Sweet!! Even better that you don't have to worry about the hood instead of the mesh :) just be careful with the light- it shouldn't burn or anything but it might get hot- watch your hands! (Unless you go LED- they make almost no heat)

So I decided to do a fish in cycling. I am ready for the work and about to research further. If I'm not mistaken, I believe water changes are required everyday yes? And what do you all recommend, 50% water changes ?

So I decided to do a fish in cycling. I am ready for the work and about to research further. If I'm not mistaken, I believe water changes are required everyday yes? And what do you all recommend, 50% water changes ?

You will have to test the water daily. whenever you have a reading of ammonia or nitrite above 0.25 ppm do a 50% water change.

Thanks! Last question I think, I don't believe my old filter will cartridge will fit in my new filter. Should I leave my old cartridge in the water or is that a stupid idea?

Back
Top Bottom