first time noticing kribs breed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermazz9

Aquarium Advice Activist
At least that's what I assume it is. I'm looking for pics now, but I've got a swarm of pinhead biege coloured balls with what looks like tails attached. Prett sure they're krib fy.

Now, how do I keep them alive?

The tank they're in has tons of plants a nooks and crannies.

I've got 6 kribs, 1 buenoes aries tetra, 3 clown loaches, 3 weather loaches, 3 kuhlie loaches, 1 rhino pleco, an apple snail, and a returning population of Malaysian trumpet snails.

Who do I move out? I've got a 2nd 40g tank in operation with 5 tiger barbs and 4 yo yo loaches and a sailfin pleco, that I can put adults into, and I've got a 3g tank that's dry right now that I could start up if needed (by the time it gets going I suppose it will be too late for it anyway).

I'm pretty sure they've bred in the past, but I've never caught it befre they've all been eaten up. It would be nice to keep some this time.

They're all in a half coconut shell, and I've pushed it down a bit so nothing sizable can get in. At least it will stop them from getting eaten before I can figure out what to do with them.

Last edited:
Kribs usually guard their fry pretty well. Sometimes if they feel threatened they'll eat the eggs, so that may occur.

I would wait until the eggs hatch, then try to move the fry. You'll want some really tiny food though, like baby brine shrimp.

All of your other fish could potentially eat the fry/eggs so unless you clear out the tank, you should just let them be. Hopefully they'll hatch and you can move the fry or maybe the parents will guard them well.

In the future, if you want them to live and grow, you could setup a tank with a pair of Kribs. That way the parents could raise the fry to a good size and no other fish would threaten them.

They're getting bigger now! I've got 30 or 40 1/4" fry swimming around one corner, well protected by the parents. I've got a little bit of research to do now (how long do the parents protect the fry mostly), but I'm on the road of raising some really nice looking kribs. I'm kind of paranoid of doing any tank maintnence...I don't want to disrupt what I've got going on!

If I want the baby kribs to live to adulthood, at what point do I separate them?

Who do I separate, and where would you suggest putting them?

If you read through my original post, it will explain what fish I have in there now, and what other tank space I have for fish.

Thanks guys!

UPDATE!!!

Geez they're getting big fast!! Still 30ish in there, and they're getting close to half an inch.

My poor buesos airies tetra...keeps venturing over to that side, and the parents keep chasing him out and nipping at him. Tail's looking pretty ragged, so hopefully he learns soon.

Back
Top Bottom