first time salt water tank need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the black box in the corner of the tank is an overflow box. there are holes in the bottom of that box where you will attach tubing that will head to the sump, and a smaller tube will return water to the tank.
i don't know what those pumps were used for but it seems they have venturi's on them, which mix air and water. you would use something like that on a protein skimmer, but it looks like one wasn't included.
you will need a pump strong enough to return water from your sump which will be below in the stand i guess, to the display tank.

i just read what you just typed. then the one hole is for the drain. a return line will need to come up and over the back of the tank.

they are pumps. i think they may have been used for circulation at one point. i would probably want to get new ones, and keep those for spares, or mixing salt water for water changes.

k so im going to need 3 pumps some live rock some base rock.. a protine skimer and maybe a filter till my rock starts to grow

if u want to use this tank,u might plan on sump..that lil black box will drain some water...JMO

sump is another tank where size normally smaller than DT located under/above the DT....from your tank, the lil black is overflow where water goes into it and drain down to sump.....sump had varies of partition....normally with 3 partition where to locate filter,skimmer and return pump.....on the other side, more like cannister....but sump much easier to maintain and had more advantages....for more info, u can visit Melevsreef.com - What is a Sump?

ok so for now im not going to use a sump i will add one later a lil tight on money right now.. want to get it up and going and see how hard it is to keep up.. so was a 100 bucks a good deal for this set up i put the stand together and it a nice one.. there are no holes drilled in the tank luckly so all i have to do is plug the hole in the over flow right

Ya it was a good deal. Salt water tanks are really expensive though. I would do some serious reading about it before diving in. Even with everything you have now, you're still going to have to spend wayy more money if you want to have a good and stable aquarium going.

there are, definitely quite a few things that you are going to need to start this project... you REALLY need to research what you are doing before you jump into this. You will save a LOT of money if you know what you need before you buy it.
The tank does look good, and (as stated before) that hole is for a sump line, but, since you aren't worrying about a sump at the moment you are going to need to plug it.
If you are only wanting a Fish Only With Live Rock (FOWLR), then we dont really have to discuss lighting yet.
If I remember correctly, the best ratio for live/base rock is 70% base rock to 30% live rock, but that can be changed if you can't for whatever reason pay for the live rock.

Im hoping we can help you with this tank, but you need to check out the articles section on this site, and read up.

u must make sure that no leakage when u plug the hole...
yes.....research and reading is an important thing in this hobby.....u can save a lot of money by spare your time on reading...get the answer before buy anything...and if u are good in DIY, that will be advantages...

yes, MANY things in this hobby can be made, with different degrees of difficulty for each item. Heck, you can even make your own rocks for your tank. If you can, go to the library, or a bookstore, and get a good book to read about Saltwater aquariums. My first book was the Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies book, very educational

ok so for now im not going to use a sump i will add one later a lil tight on money right now..
the initial start up is usually the most expensive part of a fish tank. The upkeep and maintenance is mostly labor. If money is tight I would hold off on setting it up and save up to get the required quality equipment, live rock, protein skimmer, hospital/QT tank and possibly a good light. Keep an eye on craigslist there are usually someone on there selling equipment and LR at a much better price than new. BUT you must research the stuff you buy so you know what your getting.

Back
Top Bottom