First time tying plants to drift wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
First time I've ever done this, I think it turned out okay and should fill in nicely, i would like brutally honest opinions on what you all think, as this is my first time and I only get better if people tell me if I did something wrong 20160826_155217.jpg20160826_155226.jpg20160826_155234.jpg20160826_162643.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I think you did a fine job. In time, the roots should grow and help keep the plants attached.
Tank looks nice. The only thing I'd mention is the white rock in the center. Kind of stands out since the rest of the colors are darker and subdued. Over time as diatoms and algae grow on it, it might not looks so stark. If you do replace it, I would go with a darker rock or continue with the driftwood theme.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah the Texas Holey rock, it will darken and I plan on putting moss on it, but i like it to stand out, makes everything pop. Yeah that was my first time tying plants I still have to add moss fern and a tall low Light colorful plant to separate the greens to make them stand out, thanks fresh
885be6482019a847589d1cd6d015f1d9.jpg

I got something similar from a pet store awhile back. Looks like they used some type of adhesive blob to attach the plant. It seems to be doing quite well in the planted feeder tank. No idea what they used or any details of the process for doing that. Might be something to look into:

driftplant.jpg

My plants are live, are yours? if so it's an aquarium safe adhesive like you see on fake plant decor on the bottom of the base, after a few months the way I did it the roots will be grown into the wood at that time I can take off the string.

You can use cyanoacrylate / super glue to attach plants. You need to blot the points of contact with a paper towel so that they are not wet. One downside is that the excess glue shows up white.
I prefer to use light weight, clear fishing line.

You can use cyanoacrylate / super glue to attach plants. You need to blot the points of contact with a paper towel so that they are not wet. One downside is that the excess glue shows up white.
I'd like to know what they used on the piece in my pic, above.

"doing well" and "planted" does imply live.
Well i looked at the pic closer, his plants are live, yes you can use super glue, adhesive but wouldn't that hinder the root growth?

I'd like to know what they used on the piece in my pic, above.

I want to say 100% pure silicone but requires a curing process of at least a day. Perhaps the stuff used to glue on frags in reef tanks?
Well i looked at the pic closer, his plants are live, yes you can use super glue, adhesive but wouldn't that hinder the root growth?

The glue is at the base of the plant and new roots/off shoots will grow around the contact points.
I've tried it but was not a big fan of how the excess glue looked.

I have no plants in my 125 gallon but I would like to is it hard to keep them alive

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not really if you get the correct ones, there are many that will grow under low light, no c02, i have an led fixture and mine grow like crazy all those plants you see tied to the Drift wood are one plant I split up, called Anubias, now the thing is with other plants they are root feeders so you need different substrate and might have to fertilize them, I'm far from an expert but you will want to start with what substrate you have what light and go from there I imagine.

The rock doesn't mean anything, do you have drift wood? What type of substrate

Some driftwood and the substrate I have is larger stone aka rocks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okay so with that substrate swords, long stringy root feeder plants will be hard, as you will have to use root tabs to feed them which makes your water changes a little bit different, I'm not an expert at this so I just have a couple swords and mostly Anubias, will have java fern and moss soon, Anubias, Java fern, moss are the plants you don't want to put in the substrate you want to attach then to the drift wood, and and can stuff them between your rocks in the cracks and they will root in there and grow also, but it makes water changes rough if you do the rocks unless you don't take them out

No problem, there are probably way more knowledgeable people on here that can better help you, you just in my opinion don't want to have to go c02 it's expensive.

My plants did not start to really thrive until after adding nutrients - Seachem Flourish and Flourish Excel. Before that they seemed to be barely surviving.

Back
Top Bottom