First time using sand as substrate :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sabrinarichard

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yay! Finally found the perfect used 15g for my fry!! And the best thing is that it comes with the beautiful black sand I always wanted but was scared to care for. The thing is, should I use it as it has been used before ? Last time I used, used gravel (came with my 55g, mostly semi-precious stones I had to keep it) I had to fight off nasty algae problem that never happened with my new tanks. Is it dangerous to use used sand ?
If it's fine, any tips on how to fill up the tank and take care of it after ? How do I clean it without loosing it all once in the tank ? Thanks! :)

Used sand especially really shouldn't give you algae. Some silicate sand will have an accompanying algae bloom, but if it is used, that shouldn't be an issue. Also, most black sand is not the silicate variety anyways. :)

Yay! Finally found the perfect used 15g for my fry!! And the best thing is that it comes with the beautiful black sand I always wanted but was scared to care for. The thing is, should I use it as it has been used before ? Last time I used, used gravel (came with my 55g, mostly semi-precious stones I had to keep it) I had to fight off nasty algae problem that never happened with my new tanks. Is it dangerous to use used sand ?
If it's fine, any tips on how to fill up the tank and take care of it after ? How do I clean it without loosing it all once in the tank ? Thanks! :)

Put sand in a bucket. Rinse well. Let settle. Pour off dirty water.
Once tank is set up, use gravel vac, but hover above sand and make gentle circles to pick up debris.

Put a sponge over intake if you use a filter. You can float Guppy Grass for fry to hide in.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom