First time with live plants, already having trouble...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanW0007

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm having a couple problems with my tank, thought this was the best place to ask.

I have a 29 gallon tank thats been setup for probably almost 3 months now, with only a few fish in it (2 pearl gouramis, 1 upside down cat, and a soon to be removed australian lobster). I've had different tanks for almost 2 years now, so I'm somewhat experienced, but I'm new to plants, and thats where I need help.

I went to my LFS and asked what I would need to get a good planted tank going, and I was told a twin tube striplight was all I really needed. Seemed a little odd to me to only need that, so I went ahead and bought a C02 system in addition to the light. Got home, set everything up and added a couple potted plants. Now I'm already having problems (sigh).

My plants are dying and it's only been a week maybe since I put them in. I only have 40 total watts, which seemed low to me, but I was assured that it was all I needed if I got the C02 system as well. I take it I got bad info? If I did, how can I add more watts to my tank without having to buy a whole new hood?

I'm not looking to have some incredible planted tank, I just wanted a few potted plants in the back and maybe some mondo grass as my foreground option.

Can anyone help before my two lonely plants are completely gone?

I'm afraid you got terrible advice at your lfs. CO2 is needed only when your lighting is over 2 watts per gallon. As far as your current lighting, you can have a planted tank but only certain species will do well.

What plants did you purchase?

The only way to add more light without getting another hood, would be to retrofit your new hood with power compacts (which would run you about $100), or overdrive the bulbs by changing the ballast out for a larger one. The ballast is what drives power to the bulbs...you basically send more power to the bulbs and they burn brighter, and hotter...and will last half as long as normal. This would probably only run about $30.

The CO2 right now isn't necessary, so when it runs out, you can go without it. 1.5watts per gallon is when CO2 starts to have a visible effect on plant growth, but I typically don't bother recommending it until 2 watts per gallon. By the time you hit 2.5wpg you must have CO2. 3wpg and no CO2 is like playing with fire...you're going to get burned...probably sooner than later.

Also, mondo grass is not a true aquatic plant: http://www.plantgeek.net/plant-220.htm

Definitly on the low side. There are many plants that will do great with that amount of lighting liuke anacharis,
java and anubias though

Ouch, that was some bad advice from your LFS. Is it too late to take that stuff back? I have a 1x55 on my 29gal. There aren't any plants in it because my pleco and loaches would destroy them, but I'd say that's about the minimum for being able to grow plants with enough power to get some variety. With 55W, you -could-add a DIY CO2, unless that's what you already have. You could probably get by with Excel, but not all plants respond to it. Is your CO2 pressurized or a sugar/yeast mixture?

Knowing exactly what plants you have would be helpful, but you have a couple options here: Either make sure you stick with low light plants like crypts, java fern, java moss, anubias, etc...or step up your light. Malkore is right about mondo grass. It WILL decay soon if it hasn't done so already because it's not really supposed to be in an aquarium. Why Petsmart and the other stores carry it, I have no idea. That said, my favorite plants are java fern and some of the anubias species...you can make an amazing tank with just those and maybe some marsilea quadrifolia or marsilea minuta as a foreground.

If you'd like to step up lighting, check out ahsupply.com, that's where most people on here get their lights. The prices and quality are great. For example, you could get a nice wood enclosure for your 29gal for $37 and a 1x55 kit for $42. If you decide later on you want to take the plunge and get a high light tank with pressurized CO2, ferts, and a ton of plants, you can simply order another 1x55 kit and put it inside the enclosure you'd already have.

Back
Top Bottom