fish acting aggresive.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyfoofoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just added two fire fish... I have a 55 gal and it also contains 2 percs, a blue tang and a pearly jaw. The fish have never shown any aggression before but, the clown fish instantly started harassing the fire fish. the pearly jaw also came after them a bit, and I even saw the tang go after them one time. I did what I think may have been a stupid thing and fed the fish right after releasing the fire fish. Do you think this would have a bit of bearing on the others being aggressive? Also, what advice can you offer to curb the nipping from the other fish? is there a good chance that the fish will settle down and leave each other alone?

TIA,

Ryan

Well, that quite a croud for a 55. The Tang itself will outgrow that tank in short order. Also firefish are mellow fish and the others mentioned can be aggresive. Unless you break these guys up I would expect that the firefish may at some point meet their demise.
did you quarrentine?
How much rock or hiding places do you have in your tank? Even if its a lot, firefish are not the hiders. I would expect the aggression to continue.

Quite normal for most established fish. They will have some peace once the lights are out and the fish rest for the night. Feeding can be a great way to deter attention away from the new additions and towards a possible meal. For now I would do nothing and see how things unfold. If after several days, unless overly stressed/physical trauma, they are still being heavily picked on you can try moving the liverock around and/or adding a small mirror to the outside of the tank to keep the relentless clownfish busy :) Keep a good eye on them ;)

The only fish that will outgrow the tank is the blue tang. Jawfish, in general, are usually pretty mellow. Clownfish are territorial, which may pose a problem for any new additions, but their aggression can be curbed in time. The tank is not overstocked, other than the eventual growth of the blue tang, and the fish mix is pretty basic for beginners. There will always be some sort of aggression with new additions so hopefully you have plenty of hiding places.

Well, I have to say, I think the situation is resolved. The clowns are hanging on one side of the tank and the fire fish are picking the other side as their territory. Everyone seems to be happy and since the clowns stopped instigating the aggression, no one else has been bothering the fire fish either.

Back
Top Bottom