fish addiction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was trying to stock my nano with a few tetras (enough for good schooling) and something to handle algae, and maybe (optional) something to add a little "flare" and compliment the tetras. Also have plants. Tried a fancy guppy as I heard they like algae. He also obviously really needs a bigger pasture for my liking. My two otto cats may be a bit much as well. All fish seem happy, albeit the tetras do seem a little jumpy at times than I remember (not always). Feeding is usually quite a frenzy. Knowing now what I didn't know then, I am pretty sure my other aquariums I had years ago were overstocked for years at a time with no trouble at all. Do you think I could have a fish addiction? (must... get... fish... MUST!... GET!... FISH!...)

Now more importantly:

This discussion is intended to be a fork of Noob: why are my plants fading? - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community where I am trying to get my plants straightened out.

What would you think would be the best fish stock for this aquarium? I wonder if goldfish may be a bit strong and I hate betas. I would really like to have a good school of something colorful (like the tetras).

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

You still on your 1.5gallon?? If so then still none of those fish. Or any other fish. Only shrimp or snails

If you haven't removed the fish already in then 0 and when you remove them all you can add 0 fish. Simply because 1.5g is not enough. That would make a very nice planted shrimp tank though. Take a look around at shrimp only tanks. You will be amazed at what they look like and how active the shrimp are.

I am going to agree with the previous two posters. The only fish that might be able to go in there (assuming it's heated and filtered) is a betta and even then people are going to argue against that a lot as well. You simply need a larger tank if you want to keep fish. Keep an eye on craigs list, you should be able to find tanks very very very cheaply on there. Either that or Petco has a $1 / gallon sale once in a while where you could easily pick up a 10g or a 20g tank which would give you a lot more options.

You wont get much love for nano tanks here.

There are other forums that love to talk about nano tanks.

You wont get much love for nano tanks here.

There are other forums that love to talk about nano tanks.

Ummm the fact of the matter is, his tank is too small for fish in reality. It's a perfect shrimp and snail tank. There are tons of people here with nano tanks. Better yet let's look at it like this. Take your self and get in a box that's just big enough to turn around in and sit and stand maybe a small jump if you duck, now how would you like that? Seems a bit harsh right? Now put the fish in a box downgraded to the scale of that fish. Still pretty harsh right?

I guess I can revisit the goldfish idea. Haven't goldfish been kept in 1 gallon containers we know and love as a "goldfish bowl" for decades now with little more maintenance than we give our aquariums now? Also, I saw the first filter I have ever seen for such a container about a month ago. My nano has a badd-a (donkey) UG filter for its size, otherwise I would not try fish in it like I did. Even still, I will scale it back once I get some additional waters.

Excuse me if I am sounding rude. I'm just trying to kick the question around in great detail. Some places can be a real PITA to a serious hobbyist.

I guess I can revisit the goldfish idea. Haven't goldfish been kept in 1 gallon containers we know and love as a "goldfish bowl" for decades now with little more maintenance than we give our aquariums now? Also, I saw the first filter I have ever seen for such a container about a month ago. My nano has a badd-a (donkey) UG filter for its size, otherwise I would not try fish in it like I did. Even still, I will scale it back once I get some additional waters.

Excuse me if I am sounding rude. I'm just trying to kick the question around in great detail. Some places can be a real PITA to a serious hobbyist.

That comment was meant for the poster above mine. Goldfish in bowls isn't right either. Just because its done doesn't mean you should. No one is getting mad but its all a learning process. We offer constructive criticism. A common goldy needs at least 20g to start (some say 30) and will get 6" in the first year given there is enough space but if there isn't, they will suffer a growth stunt and die

Going by your logic we should not have aquariums at home nor animals at zoos since animals need huge spaces to roam.

Going by your logic we should not have aquariums at home nor animals at zoos since animals need huge spaces to roam.

And going by your logic we can just add 10 oscars to a 10g tank just because it looks empty. My logic is simple. Provide adequate swim room for your fish or don't buy them. Why have fish if you don't love them? Most here understand that fish need room.

Albeit some of us have a tough time knowing how much room. Believe it or not, that did influence my decision on what to keep. (Too late!)

Albeit some of us have a tough time knowing how much room. Believe it or not, that did influence my decision on what to keep. (Too late!)

Yeah I understand that. Next time you can ask here and do a little research to verify to make it easier. We have all been there

Looked like you and APR was about to get into it.

Looked at the link about the plants. Please tell me that you do not have four or five neon tetras and several otos in a 1.5 gallon tank! The analogy about living in a box is exactly right. Please go buy at least a 10 gallon tank for what you already have--a 20 would be better.

Haha lectra you beginning to see why i took the stance i did?? Oh and it dont matter at all how much filtration you got! You could connect 50 filters to that tank. Still doesn't increase the space for fish.

I knew that much. I haven't seen my Otto cats (or the plecos I used to have as a kid) move much more than was necessary to get to a meal. ;)

I knew that much. I haven't seen my Otto cats (or the plecos I used to have as a kid) move much more than was necessary to get to a meal. ;)

Plecos are lazy, I can understand that but my oto's are allllll over the place!

Back
Top Bottom