Fish and peas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasina

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have two bloated fish, a guppy and a glo-danio. I heated up a pea, let it cool and then skinned it. I dropped it into the tank and a few picked at it as it sank, but not the bloated ones. I didn't feed them today just so they would be hungry enough to go after it. Any ideas on how to keep it up in the tank so the top feeders will get it?

I feed peas to my goldfish every 3 days. I put 4 peas in the microwave for about 15 seconds to take the chill off and peel them. I use a fork to mash them 2 or 3 times. It doesn't really mash them, just cuts them into smaller pieces. I drop it into the tank and the fish tear it up.

Now, do the peas count as a normal feeding? Or should I be giving them their normal food as well at the same time?

After I cook my peas and deshell them I just smash them between my fingers before dropping them in. I actually feed a few peas every morning along with their other daily food. I do this as it helps add veggie matter to my angels and other fish who will otherwise go find plants to nibble on.

After I cook my peas and deshell them I just smash them between my fingers before dropping them in. I actually feed a few peas every morning along with their other daily food. I do this as it helps add veggie matter to my angels and other fish who will otherwise go find plants to nibble on.

This method worked quite well for me... for the most part the pieces were small enough for my little tetras' mouths.
Which leads me to my next happy news in that my little tetras ate them (gleefully). I was afraid they might ignore or spit them out like they do the fish flakes.

No.. they still sank, but since the pieces were small so the fish got most of it before they hit the bottom. Im thinking that when you put a whole pea in that just looked at that and thought "Theres no way I can eat that". Also, maybe the smaller pieces sink more slowly.

Back
Top Bottom