Fish changing colors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OhNeil1969

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got 4 cory cats that aren't sick but seem to be changing color. 2 of them are peppered cories (paleatus), the other 2 are punctatus cories. When I first got the peppered cories they were very dark, almost black. The punctatus cories were white with black spots. After about 3 weeks they all seem to be changing to the same grey color. I seem to remember reading somewhere that there are animals in the world that will change themselves to "hide" amongst others. I'm wondering if that is what is happening to my cories. Has anyone had any similar type of experience?

I found this article about fish coloring: The Physiology and Behavior of Color in Fishes. They do speak of species of fish that change colors to blend in with other species for protection and or hunting. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this in their tanks.

Hmm. It's not the same, but some of my discus can change quite a bit. We have a couple that have mostly white bodies that turn nearly completely dark blue when the lights are off. When the lights come back on, they slowly lighten back up. Also, if they're stressed, the colors come out. We also have a cobalt that sometimes is brilliantly blue...and sometimes is so light that he's hardly recognizable.

I have a bronze cory and when I got it it was quite light but like a month later got a lot darker. The colours may just change a bit as they get older or stuff thats in the different food they are eating i think.

Back
Top Bottom