Fish dieing rapidly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ManiacMagoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55gal tank that has been setup for about 6 years moved several times but always saved the tank water for local moves. The tank started off for the past 6 years as a SA ciclid tank for my Jack Dempseies and a few other ciclids I had in it. They got to around 10" give or take an inch. I have not lost a fish in the past 8 years so I guess I'm lucky. I do weekly water changes normally 50% because of my ciclids. I have a fluval 304 and a HoB filter rated for a 150gal tank on it. I use my python during my water changes to vacuum the gravel. Here is my tank info and it has always stayed at these since in first cycled:

PH: 7.6
ammonia: 0
nitrites: 0
nitrates: unkown tester ran out a week ago and waiting on pay day for a new but never had an issue here before either
temp: 78

About 3 weeks ago I decided to make a change to my tank since I was quite bored with it. I sold my breeding Jack Dempsies and gave my other ciclids away. I did a water change like normal and cleaned the filters. I talked to our LFS and decided to go with a community tank which would end up my breeder tank once I get my new tank. I stuck 1 pleco, 6 harlequin, and 2 cory cats in for about a week to help keep the tank balanced. The tanks stats stayed the same. 1 week later I added 6 German Blue rams and they immediately started feeding and doing great. I went back to my LFS 1 week later and bought 7 cardinal tetras. After I got home and stuck them in my tank I noticed 3 days later 1 lost its color and dead. The next day I woke up to 2 dead rams. The tank stats never changed. Yesterday I noticed white spots forming on my cardinals so I slowly raised the temp thinking it was ich. Well this mourning they all looked great besides the spots on the tetras. At noon I looked in my tank to see the cardinals dead and 2 rams struggling. I tested the tank and still no changes. I did a 75% water change hoping to help get rid of whatever was in the tank some. I lost the last 2 rams and have one left now. My fish seem happy but I don't want to lose anymore. I did notice under the belly of one of the rams that died that there where little dark specks under his scales that looked kind of like parasites.

Friday I will get my new nitrate tester and hope that I don't lose anymore fish. I still have no clue what happened to the tank.

Got my new test kit in today and the stats are the same. My nitrates are at 5ppm. I lost everything but my 2 cory cats and pleco. They seem to be doing fine. I think I might of just got some bad fish since everything was fine till I added the cardinals.

Well, if it is parasites, you might have to treat the tank for parasites. You could also feed some anti-parasitic food to the fish that you do have. Other than that, not sure what else it could be. Your parameters all seem to be perfect. And I'd leave the temp up as well. It should remain above 86 degrees for 2 weeks after the last sign of ick is gone. So if none of the fish now have white spots, then keep the heat up for 2 weeks, then lower it slowly.

Back
Top Bottom