Fish dieing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicracing

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
On 1-13-07 i purchased 10 neon tetra's and 3 potted plants for my well established 75 gallon aquarium. Today is now 1-20-07 and i have 9 dead fish, 2 tetras, angel fish, 6 assorted mollies. The tank has had the water tested. The Ammonia was Zero, The nitrite was also Zero, The nitrate was about 80ppm, did water change it went to about 10ppm. Could the fish be dying from the new plants? i have not had a problem till now. HELP WOULD BE GREAT.

high nitrite is deadly. Nitrates, 20 and below are relatively safe for fish. As you go higher and higher away from that number, it gets more and more dangerous.

Read the article on the nitrogen cycle it will help.

The summary is, nitrAtes are also toxic to fish, just not as much as ammonia and nitrIte are. Therefore, keeping low NO3 is one of the main reasons you do PWC occasionally. The general consensus is to keep your nitrAtes below 40ppm seems to be safe, with 20ppm or less being the desired range. The lower the better basically.

Did you monitor your water parameters closely after you put in the new fish? There's a possibility with the addition of that many fish at once that you went through a mini-cycle, where as the ammonia spiked, then the nitrites, then it all eventually converted to nitrAte. If this occurred it could have been a factor in your losses as well. Even a well-established tank is only established to the point of being able to handle the bio load it has. When you up the load like you did, it's still possible to see this so called mini-cycle.

I highly recommend you maintain the NO3 below 20 in the future. Also, when you want to add new fish in the future, you'd be better off doing it in small groups of fish at a time. I don't know that tetras are "dirty" enough to have caused this, and I understand you want to add them in "schools", it was just a thought...

The other thought I have is on the plants. I'm not a plantkeeper, so I don't have experience with them. I assume they were aquatic plants, but if you could state what they were others may be able to help you with those. If those plants aren't aquatic, and they were treated with pesticides or something, that would easily cause this.

I'd agree the nitrates most likely were the cause. Regular water changes are a must to keep the nitrates low. Also if you take fish that are acclimated to nitrates of 80ppm and then lower the nitrates too fast you can cause shock to their systems and harm them as well. I resuced some goldies that were kept in tanks with no water changes at all and had acclimated to very high nitrates. I had to slowly start doing small water changes to get them used to good water slowly.

Back
Top Bottom