Fish Dying 1-by-1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rei

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

5 Glofish tetras. They’re dying one by one. When I brought them home, they were breathing heavy and it never stopped. 3 hid all the time. 2 were bullies. It was okay for a couple of days but then each day, 1 died. 3 have died total and one looks like it’s on it’s way. The first one was swimming erratically, then was found dead with two red streaks down its head, one on each side. It also seemed to have tiny dot bruises in random places. The next day, another was found dead with a huge bruise looking thing on one side of its head by its gills. Its color was also gone. I did a 60% water change. Then the day after, one got red in its eyes and forehead, began to swim sideways, then died before the end of the night and was removed. The day after this, I added Melafix. Now, one of the two his hiding and seems weak and the other is glass surfing.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Ammonia, nitrates, nitrites: 0
Temp: 78 Fahrenheit
pH: 7.8-8.3

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
10 gallons; 5 weeks.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
AquaClear 20

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
Previously 5, now 2. One is an inch, the other is 2 inches. One nerite snail at an inch.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
I did a water change (the first one) last night after the third one died. 60%. I also vaccumed the gravel and rinsed the decorations.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
6 days; I had them all in one bag, floated for 15 minutes, added a cup of my tank water, waited 10 minutes, then fished them out of the bag with the fish net.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
No.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Tetra fishflakes

So tanks been running 5 weeks? And can you give us actual water tests, 0,0,0 isn’t accurate on a 5 week old tank and all tanks are gonna have some nitrate. Sounds like your fish in cycling with out changing water to me.

I have test strips that indicate it’s at 0, which I’ve learned isn’t the most accurate and I’ll order a test kit in the future. However, it does indicate that they are not at dangerous levels. I had cycled the tank with beneficial bacterial for four weeks and then added fish.

Then you would have nitrate levels, and those strips don’t test ammonia. You need to look up a fish in cupcake and start doing large water changes more frequently. What did you use for an ammonia source during the 4 weeks?

I used Tetra SafeStart Plus and tested ammonia with API ammonia strips.

How high did your ammonia go, and how fast did your system turn it to nitrates?

Back
Top Bottom