Fish dying HELP!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlaseMrNiceguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I did my fishless cycle at 4ppm so I could add all my fish at once. Worked beautifully so I go to add my fish to my 55 gallon I added 9 cardinal tetras and 8 rummynose tetras. I have since lost 4 fish. Water chemistry is as follows:

Ph - 8.0-8.2
Ammo - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 40-80ppm

I understand that these are softer water fish but have also read that fish will acclimate to the Ph also I know my nitrates should probably be a little lower thus I'm doing a pwc as we speak but have read nitrates at these levels however not ideal wont kill the fish. Checked out all the dead fish and saw no signs of illness. I lost 2 rummynose and 2 cardinals, what do you guys think is going on.

So I did my fishless cycle at 4ppm so I could add all my fish at once. Worked beautifully so I go to add my fish to my 55 gallon I added 9 cardinal tetras and 8 rummynose tetras. I have since lost 4 fish. Water chemistry is as follows:

Ph - 8.0-8.2
Ammo - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 40-80ppm

I understand that these are softer water fish but have also read that fish will acclimate to the Ph also I know my nitrates should probably be a little lower thus I'm doing a pwc as we speak but have read nitrates at these levels however not ideal wont kill the fish. Checked out all the dead fish and saw no signs of illness. I lost 2 rummynose and 2 cardinals, what do you guys think is going on.
Rummynose and Cardinal tetras are one of the biggest mistakes anyone can make. Even in a 5-year-old tank, these types of fish die randomly. They require PRISTINE water conditions, and you are lucky to have ANY left...

Lol thanks I just liked them and haven't kept any before so now I know. I just figured a lot of stress was the culprit. Thanks for the input.

Missing two more cardinals can't find the bodies. They may be hiding but I doubt it I'm not too worried anyways. Down to 5 cardinals and 7 rummy nose.

Could just be bad stock. Also if you acclimated them too quickly or improperly that may have been a factor also. You should try to find the dead fish and remove them and then do a 50% water change; decomposing fish will mess with your water conditions (cause nitrate, ammonia and/or nitrite to rise) and can be unhealthy for the remaining fish.

Also maybe test your tap water for nitrate, see if any are coming from there. With nitrates at 40-80 either you need to increase your water weekly water changes, you're overstocked, your tap water has high nitrate, you're overfeeding and/or the dead fish are causing them to rise.

Back
Top Bottom