Fish Dying with Great Water Quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skmage

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a freshwater fish tank that has been up and running with 6 fish in it for around 8 months now. I decided to add 4 more guppies to my tank and they all died the next morning. I have no idea why because my water quality is fine. The PH is a little high, but it shouldn't be dangerous and it hasn't affected the other fish. The only thing I have changed is around a 2 weeks ago I added a Amazon Sword plant to the tank and suddenly got a brown algae bloom after getting it. But as far as I am aware, brown algae isn't dangerous to fish right? Here is my setup and water quality numbers.

20 gallon
5 guppies (male)
1 bolivian ram

Ammonia = 0
PH = 7.6
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 6ppm
Phosphate = .19
Temperature = 80°F

Did you do anything to acclimate the new fish to your tank paramaters before adding them?

I turned off the light, floated the bag in the water for 20min, added my aquarium water 1/2 cup at a time every 5min and then netted them in eventually. Same as I did for my others.

It may have been a batch that the store just got in. Yhe stress if being shipped there, going into their ranks and then being bought by you probably stressed them out too much.

Back
Top Bottom