Fish First Aid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EJHLaura

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, so my mollie had her babies and I moved my 4 guppies into another tank so they dont eat the babies. Well, 2 of the guppies literally jumped ship (and died on the floor). The 2 remaining guppies were doing fine. I changed the water and cleaned out the tank this morning, both were doing great all morning and afternoon. I noticed that 1 of the guppies can't float. I think maybe one of his fins is hurt or something. He can swim, he just sinks when he stops moving up or forward. I put him in a separate tank from the other one (the other one is doing just fine, so i dont think this is stress related) so he doesn't have to fight the small current from the pump and doesn't get stuck in any of the decorations. I don't see any red or white spots, no parasites I can see.

What can I do to help this little guy? Is there fin first aid (maybe stabalizer fin)? Should I just start antibiotics and see if that helps?

I suck at this fish stuff lol.

Ok, scratch that... He has a wound behind his pectoral fin. I noticed this because he rolled over (actually my husband noticed it) He also has some weird looking thing on his gill on the same side. I have no idea how I didnt notice this. So, I treated his isolation tank, and the tank he came out of with a parasite treatment (that has an antibiotic in it as one of its ingredients which i dont think most people would know). What else can I do? Will he suffocate not moving around (we have air pump going through the water. We looked at the other fish closely and dont see anything on him.

Your on the right path!! Make sure to follow through with what the directions say for the parasite treatment. It's good that you have the air hose and if you want you can put in a hob filter (making sure to remove any carbon first) but I think the filter is optional at this point. Don't forget a lot of Guppies are raised in fish bowls still and to those guys a filter and an air hose is pure luxury!! Definitely keep an eye on the other fish to be on the safe side.
Good luck!!

**If you crush some of your tropical flakes into a fine powder that makes a good food for the baby Mollies, be careful though not to over feed. Over feeding with babies in the tank is easy to do and it will cause your amonia levels to spike up fast; if this happens do a partial water change. Also it's probably a good idea to test your water more frequently with the babies in your tank as a precaution. :)

OK, cyberkat summed things up:)
But, a suggestion is a hood or lid for your tank. I am assuming you don't have one if a fish was able to jump out...?

Update: the guppy died the next day. Then, Ich took over, treated that, lost the babies. Now everything seems good. I have the molly and one guppy left. They are happy now that they are together and both have recovered from Ich. Thank you for all your responses.

Back
Top Bottom