Fish food: tropical vs. goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senemedar

Aquarium Advice Freak
With an aquarium I bought as a bundle I got the 'Tetra Goldfish Aquasafe' and 'Tetra Goldfish Flake' food. So my question is, what is the difference in the food for goldfish and other tropical flakes? Can I use it with my fishes or shrimps?
And I guess there shouldn't be any difference in water conditioners apart from the label, right?

Hi! I would recommend going out & purchasing a decent water conditioner (such as prime) & skipping the tetra products in general. I would also consider getting a quality food for the species of fish you plan on keeping. Hope this helps!

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that goldfish food is mostly vegetable based, and therefore not suitable for tropical fish.

Wow, that was quick :)
For feeding my little fellas I'm using Tropical Flakes from Aquarian, but as the water conditioning I've been using Tetra's Aquasafe for months now, and believe me-- it's not the cheapest one, at least in the UK :) Will there be any differences with that then?

Since the goldfish flakes are mostly vegetable based, could I use it as some sort of addition to the diet? If that's still a no-no, I just put it on eBay :) (unless someone from the forum wants it :D)

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that goldfish food is mostly vegetable based, and therefore not suitable for tropical fish.

Most quality goldfish foods run in the 45-48+% protien range unless you are buying a specificlly made vegetable food. This is probably equivalent or higher than alot of tropical foods. Tetra goldfish flakes do not fall under the 'quality' category though. :)

jlk said:
Most quality goldfish foods run in the 45-48+% protien range unless you are buying a specificlly made vegetable food. This is probably equivalent or higher than alot of tropical foods. Tetra goldfish flakes do not fall under the 'quality' category though. :)

Well, that's it then, it goes to eBay while it's still unopened :)
Any thoughts on water conditioner? Will there be any difference?

The aquasafe should fine! When it runs out, you could always consider switching but its not necessary if you are comfortable with this product. :)

Back
Top Bottom