Fish for a 10-gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caenis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What sorts of fish do you recommend for a 10-gallon (fresh water) tank?

tetras, rasboras, barbs, fancy guppies..... smaller fish like that. They look cool if you have a bunch of the same kind when they all swim together.

Yup, I'd have to agree with rthoman on this one.

For freshwater setups, the general rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish per gallon. So for your 10 gallon => 10 inches of fish. However, I would not recommend 1 x 10 inch fish, or 2 x 5 inch fish. You are better off with 20 x 1/2 inch (half inch) fish... A school or several schools of small fish is actually very beautiful and gives you some "movement" in the tank... Something to look at.

As far as the rule goes, it is only a guideline, however, you can cheat the number, provided you have good filtration. The better the filter the more you can cheat (keeping it reasonable - of course).

I hope this helps.

10 gallon water tank

I've got a 12 gallon water tank with a Siamese fighting fish, 7 rasboras and 3 botia sidthimunki. It looks nice and the fish look comfortable.

In my 10 i had a pair of bolivian rams, 3 kuhlis and i peppered catfish. They were fine.(cept one of my kuhlis ahs disappeared...)
I preffer a pair of fish rather than tonnes of little ones, so this was my option :D

:lol:

i just set up a 10 gal after 12 years of not having one. i have 2 gouramis, 4 zebra danios, an algae eater....a red/blk molly and a solid white molly that i think is pregnant (when I got her)

Don't think I've forgotten about your lack of spellcheck zephyr.

(On a side note, spellcheck did not recognize the word spellcheck. The irony.)

Careful if you go for barbs, they tend to gang up on anything else in the tank and nip their fins. If I was going for a second smaller tank I'd get a load of neon or cardinal tetras. They look fantastic in big groups, bit more colourful than a lot of freshwater fish. :)

My 10 gal. consists of goldfish., aka two small fantails, a small-medium black moore, a smaller comet, two snails, and a algae eater. Pretty packed, i also have an amazon sword plant. Very easy to take care of.

^ you guys know that goldfish require at LEAST a 10 gal for one right??

my ten gal has 5 zebra danios, 1 leopard danio and 1 african dwarf frog... also has live plants--hornwort, lutea, banana plant, and java fern...

i recommend danios because they are hardy, active, and fun to watch!!! if you are a beginner they are the perfect fish b/c they can adjust to different water conditions and are not very picky about water chemistry.. they eat just about anything as well...

tabitha said:
^ you guys know that goldfish require at LEAST a 10 gal for one right??

Depends on your filters...if you have a good filter and do frequent water changes its fine. (never kept them myself but have read this mutiple times)

Back
Top Bottom