fish for a 5 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I've read many similar threads, but everyone seems to point to the betta for such a small tank. But I'm looking for suggestions other than a betta (forgive me betta lovers) because I find their shape to be somewhat unattractive.

I realize starting with such a small tank (5 gallon) is troublesome, and may even be a suicide mission, but I've decided to give it a shot. The tank is currently fishless cycling, and assuming everything goes according to plan it will soon be ready for its first stock. I know what I would like to put in it, but I thought I would ask for suggestions from the experts.

What I would really like to put in it is a couple angelfish. Before you facepalm, I realize that angelfish would outgrow this tank rather quickly, so I'm assuming I would be making trips to the LFS to trade them for smaller ones as they grow, which the LFS has assured me that they'd be willing to do granted they stay healthy. Do you think this would be realistic in practice?

I also like barbs and tetras, and I'd like to keep at least two fish in my tank at a time. I'm willing to do PWC's once or twice a week (though if I had to do it twice a week I'd say the tank is overstocked), and part with my finned companions once they outgrow their home. I have a foggy understanding of the common fish types, so any recommendations are welcome. Which species are most likely to do well in the smaller tank? Are there any "slow growing" types that may work well?

Thanks for any input.

I'm not sure about the Angels. You also have to consider a process called stunting where a fish's insides will continue to grow but the body doesn't; this is very painful for fish. The fish don't know they will be moved to a larger tank so their bodies stop growing to compensate for the size tank they are in while their insides continue to grow. I''m not sure how soon this would start happening and if you would be able to stay on top of it by exchanging the fish, but it seems like a lot of work to me and probably unfair to the fish.

Danios and Tetras are too large and/or active for a 5 gal. The only other fish that would work besides a betta would be a group of nano fish like ember tetra, chili rasbora, or celestial pearl danio. Or some Endler's livebearers. Or small killfish. There are probably others as well; these are the one that came to my mind first.

Nope i do not suggest angels. The fish will grow very fast and you will not realize how big it has become. The small tank will stunt its growth and be deadly. Also you will become attatched to the fish ( like i have become to mine ) and you will not want to trade him in. Im sorry :(

Definitely not the angel fish, sorry. They will out grow the tank faster than you think. It is unfair to the fish to keep it in such a small environment. The nano fish suggested would be your best bet or some shrimp!

You could do a sparkling or licorice gourami and small school of boraras provided adequate setup and maintenance.

Nothing can really be grown out in a 5. If you want something to turn into the LFS, go for shrimp.

Red cherry shrimp, crystal red shrimp, even green neon shrimp!

Those are all great for a 5 gallon. You can even start a colony.

Not contradicting anyone's advice, but I was doing some reading on the myths of aquaria. Number One was that fish "Do not get outgrown by their organs in a small tank", they simply get as big as they do inside of it and die from the stress of a small tank.

Just sayin'!

Anyways, my first picks for a 5 would be: Betta (Lookup HalfMoon Plakat Betta, see if you like the shape!) a shrimp colony, snails, ember tetras, african dwarf frogs... There is not much to add in a 5g... You can also do minnows, not sure about that though.

Hope I helped, pros, correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm kinda leaning in that direction as well QuietPlotter. I haven't seen any real documentation proving that their organs continue to grow, and I have seen some very small 'stunted' fish. It's a realm that I really don't know much about, my stance is that we should give a fish enough room to be comfortable at his normal adult size.

Indeed. That doesn't mean you put a 15 inch Oscar in a 15 Gallon tank, though, for the aquarium novices. I try to do at least 5x maximum length in gallons per fish, but mainly for cichlids. Platys are fine and such. Meanwhile, my 45g only has 10 fish, and 4 inverts (reef tank), but everything differs.

I imagine if that hypothesis was compeletely true, a common Pleco in a 5 gallon would die with it's intestines leaki g and other organs being expelled from the body, no?

Thanks for all the replies! I was doubtful about the angels, but I thought I'd ask and see if there were any reason it would work. I suppose I'll have to keep them in the back of my mind and wait until I have more space for a properly sized tank.

I like a lot of the suggested fish, unfortunately I don't recognize many of them from the LFS (it's rather small..), so I might have to go out of town. That's alright though, for the sake of finding fish that wouldn't be miserable in the tank. I actually hadn't considered shrimp. They aren't really what I had in mind but I'll certainly consider it if they're a good fit for the tank.

That bit about the angelfish organs outgrowing the body was shocking, and whether or not there's truth to it, it's certain that angelfish couldn't be happy in a five gallon tank.. thanks for the ideas!

Actually, I suggest you order from www.liveaquaria.com ------ Instead of going out of town. I have dealt with them before, they are extremely nice and helpful. Their fish come in top quality, disease free. Any aquatic specimen you can think of, especially shrimp. They deliver very well bubble-wrapped fish, lol.

Try it. :)

*No I'm not a marketer, just love that site*

Meanwhile, some members here sell fish and shrimp, ask around!

I agree with Bruinsboro regarding the classifieds. Aquabid has some amazing half moon plakat bettas, do yourself a favor and feast your eyes upon them :)

QP

That site is really neat in that it has so many varieties of fish.. but it would probably be a last resort just because $35 shipping is a little steep for $3 worth of fish. I might ask my LFS if they could "special order" any of those varieties. Being small and privately owned might actually be willing to, though I don't know if that's commonly done or not. I still have at least a couple more weeks to wait, so maybe I will see what those classifieds have to offer.

I dont know what my problem is with bettas.. I looked at the halfmoon plakat, and although it is different, I still didn't really like it :(. I think it's more of a body shape thing and their reputation for being so mean and aggressive that turns me off. Oh well. It would be a good fish to start with as far as survivability, as evident by the people who keep them in tiny little bowls and they survive. I dont know what would make those people think the fish would be happy in a tiny little bowl though, but that's a rant for another day.

Bettas are the most timid fish, ever! As long as not kept with long finned fish and other bettas, they make a great addition to a community tank. They have their own personality and learn to simply love you if kept alone.

Shrimp are fun too ;)

I think I'm going to try the bumblebee gobies. It turns out the LFS has them. How many would be a safe number for my five-gal? I just learned that they're a brackish species, so I'm reading up on that. Would three be too many?

Back
Top Bottom