Fish for a 5g softie tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
Setting up a 5g softie reef and am wondering if i should do an invert only reef or 1 small goby? I dont really like clown gobys so is there anything else i could get? Heres what im thinking of right now...

Cleaner shrimp,5 dwarf zebra hermits, and 2 margarita snails, does that sound good? I will move the shrimp to my 20 long once it gets to big.

Thanks!

How about a tailspot blenny? Or a catalina goby?

Neither of these work either. Tailspots are to big and Catalina's are cold water fish. The only fish I could think of would be a neon goby. Why not a fish less tank with cool inverts like a Pom Pom crab or sexy shrimp.

Neither of these work either. Tailspots are to big and Catalina's are cold water fish. The only fish I could think of would be a neon goby. Why not a fish less tank with cool inverts like a Pom Pom crab or sexy shrimp.

What would be minimum size for a tailspot? The fishless tank sounds like a cool idea!

LA says 10g, but that still means to big. What is minimum for a clown goby? I had one but he never moved more than 4 inches from his zoanthids so it was hard to tell.

LA says 10g, but that still means to big. What is minimum for a clown goby? I had one but he never moved more than 4 inches from his zoanthids so it was hard to tell.

im with mel on this, you have 3 tanks and +2,200 posts and your insisting on cramming a fish into a 5g tank, take a gander into any fish in these list and few have a tank minimum size of 10g let alone a 5g tank, inverts would be your only option like pom poms and sexy shrimp, IMO, but its your tank you can do what you want, but your going to end up with super stressed out fish.

Nano Fish

im with mel on this, you have 3 tanks and +2,200 posts and your insisting on cramming a fish into a 5g tank, take a gander into any fish in these list and few have a tank minimum size of 10g let alone a 5g tank, inverts would be your only option like pom poms and sexy shrimp, IMO, but its your tank you can do what you want, but your going to end up with super stressed out fish.

Nano Fish

I wasnt "insisting" on doing it, i was asking. What does the 3 tanks and 2,000 posts have to do with anything??? Im not going to purposely stress out a fish. Thats why im asking first and not doing.

I wasnt "insisting" on doing it, i was asking. What does the 3 tanks and 2,000 posts have to do with anything??? Im not going to purposely stress out a fish. Thats why im asking first and not doing.

i consider it insisting when the first post in your thread is an 15yr veteran and site admin telling you no fish in a 5g and asking 4 more times.

also, you having 2,300 posts tell me you either have read and replied enough to know the answers to the "duh" questions like the one this entire thread is based on, and the fact that you have 3 tanks should back that up but im sorry for assuming you would at least know what your doing by now.

I really like clingfish, but most of them are really cryptic.
Also, if the thank flow isn't too high, maybe a herd of dwarf seahorses?
Good luck finding a nano fish. I am a huge enthusiast on nano and cryptic fish, so I feel your pain when you don't know what small fish to get!

Don't worry about what some people say to you man always stay positive. On the subject though I think probably an invert only tank but I would try to find some really exotic inverts to put in there something that stands out! Good luck man!

Ya that is really weird I have a pair of perculas in my 90 gallon and they swim all around it happy as can be.

I know what you mean, i had my pair in my 37g and they would travel the tank all day, now their in my 20 long but i feel its too cramped with just them and a yellow watchman goby. They just swim so much. Cant imagine putting them in a tank smaller.

Back
Top Bottom