Fish Gone Crazy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunettebaby4571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a molly who I have had for at least a year now and now all of a sudden she is going crazy and is super jumpy. Anytime anyone walks in front of the tank or any sudden movements happen she goes berserk and tries to jump out of the tank. Sometimes nothing can happen and she just randomly freaks out and tries to jump out. She has successfully jumped out about 5 or 6 times already. Also when all of this started to happen I noticed that she doesnt swim around at all now (unless she is preparing to jump out) she just hangs out right underneath the filter and only every once in a while will she move and even then its only very close to the filter. She does come up to the surface when it is time to eat but then she goes right back to her spot. I do not have a cover for the tank at the moment but I plan on getting one as soon as I can. But I would like to find out what on earth is causing her to act like this. I don't want her to be unhappy or scared all the time :/ I haven't added anything to the tank or taken anything out so I have no idea what the cause is. If anyone has any ideas at all it would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thank you!!

Yes and my water change schedule has not changed or anything. The only thing that has changed now that I think about it is I have some hair algae but I have reduced the time my lights are on and kept up with the weekly water changes and it is almost gone. But other than that everything is the same.

Yes and my water change schedule has not changed or anything. The only thing that has changed now that I think about it is I have some hair algae but I have reduced the time my lights are on and kept up with the weekly water changes and it is almost gone. But other than that everything is the same.

Sorry to hear this, I had a male molly do this totally out of the blue. In the process of putting him into my QT tank he jumped right out of the jug I was using to transport, luckily he landed in the tank but I'm sure that didnt help with stress though it was the same water from main tank anyway. Unfortunately after about 5 days of fighting whatever it was he didn't make it. I know this is not what you wanted to hear but I'd really like to know firstly what it was and if you manage to get it sorted. Anytime I went to the tank he would freak out and start bashing into the sides of tank etc. poor wee guy! He had just bred with my female molly as well. Really hope it settles down.

I am sorry about your fish! Actually come to think of it my male molly passed away on us about 2 or so months before she started going crazy on me. She was very attached to him or so it seemed that way I never really asked her about it haha. She constantly followed and bugged him. It was really odd since usually the male is the one that is constantly following and harassing the females. She was always very outgoing and was always at the front of the glass when I would come near the tank. But now that he is gone she is like a grieving widow and is always hiding. Could she be upset that he is gone? I know that sounds kind of weird to say that a fish is sad and grieving lol but I really have no idea what else could be going on with her. Do you think if I got another male molly anything could change with her? Or is there anything else that could be going on? Thank you for all the responses so far! Hopefully I can get this figured out. She seems so miserable. :/

Back
Top Bottom