Fish ID please [Julidochromis regani?]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

webmoose

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is hard but I have to ask:

Tiny looking brown fish with little white spots (natural white not ick) Real slim like a goby/pencil fish. Not a pencil or goby though. I think it could be in the cichlid family. I think I owned one and I think I saw one in the fish store a while back. Any guess's / pictures would be appreciated. It was tiny. I don't know if it stayed tiny or not. Flat nose like cichlid (i think).

I kept it in an semi-aggressive tank 15 years ago. The tank had Convict Cichlid's (breeding pair) / marble angels / a red tail shark / and a pleco / and a swordtail.

think the fins are on the sides no real top or bottom fins like cichlids. Like a puffer but not round body like a puffer. Thin body like a pencil: but a short pencil not a long pencil. Does not have a long nose like gars.

I believe they are at Tanks A Lot!!!!!! The ones over there are only 2". The ones at Tanks are definitely from Lake Tanganyika (since he specializes in Lake Tang and Malawi :wink: )
I have been looking at this thread all day trying to figure it out!
I have absolutely no experience with these fish, but I know I saw them :D

Cool 3 reasons to go to Tanks. Pleco / Panda Cories and to see these guys.. :)

I saw them Tiny like I remember them from 15 years ago at Big Al's but they didn't look terribly healthy. I told my friend and within a day or two he went there and the tank was replaced with Neon's or something. Saw the fruit loop and painted glass fish. Almost asked them why they carry them but just left it alone and left.

I currently have a tank of J. regani that I hope to be breeding soon.

Actually, there are several Julidochromis species available: they all look similar (more or less) but there are differences amongst them.

J. marlieri and regani reach about 15 cm. J. dickefeldi, ornatus, and transcriptus are much smaller- in the 7 - 11 cm range.

The "mboka" at the end of the name is the collection point: you'll find that with many of the Tanganyikans.

Julies are great fish. They're best kept in pairs after reaching sexual maturity. Other than that, they're a pretty straight-forward Tang species.

Glad to hear they are doing well.. I think I might do a tour of the fish stores and see if I can see any..... And then I will tap on the glass... (joke)

:) Playing it all by ear...

I know that there was Julidochromis at Pisces.. I want to go back and see which ones they are... the small ones that stay around 3" or the more common biggy's..

Mooooose

Back
Top Bottom