Fish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tcal01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Found these fish in the feeder tank in petco. Does anyone know what they r?

Attachments

• image-1692975039.jpg
    image-1692975039.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 158
  • image-1957861511.jpg
    image-1957861511.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 154
So you just got them without even knowing what they are, let alone researching?

At least he is researching now. In a feeder tank he probably saved it anyway.
It looks like a super cool platy lol I wanna know to because Ive seen similar fish

Could be a great find/save. Looking at that fish and knowing it is from a feeder tank, it is easily tankable and probably hardy. As long as it is QT'd and tanked responsibly, it is a very nice find (that part is on you Tcal). Exactly how many species have you researched? How many of those were after the fact? Why assume the worst?

At least he is researching now. In a feeder tank he probably saved it anyway.
It looks like a super cool platy lol I wanna know to because Ive seen similar fish

Agreed. I've seen this fish or similar. I don't think it's a platy, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Could be.

It doesn't look like a livebearer IMO.. they always seem to have the upward facing bottom jaw and wider flat front. Not sure why, but it looks to me like some sort of dwarf south american cichlid. I think a better picture in a tank that isn't distorting the fish (as it is with the bag) would allow for a better ID

For some reason, maybe just the head, it looks like some kind of a rainbow thats having a really bad day. Maybe boesemani? They can kinda have stripes like that sometimes.

It doesn't look like a livebearer IMO.. they always seem to have the upward facing bottom jaw and wider flat front. Not sure why, but it looks to me like some sort of dwarf south american cichlid. I think a better picture in a tank that isn't distorting the fish (as it is with the bag) would allow for a better ID
SA cichlid was my first impression from the shape as well.
I don't think it looks like a livebearer either. The bottom fins don't look right for that, nor does the general face shape.

I was at petco cuz I heard about their dollar per gallon sale and passed by the feeder tank and spotted him so yah it was kinda spur of the moment. This fish was way to cool to just get fed to a snake or something. I also saw a blackskirt tetra and a Molly in ther. I was just some research on bluegill cuz I remembered a thread I had read not even two days ago about a guy finding a bluegill in a feeder tank. So that was the first thing I looked up. After some poking around I found a fish called a bantam sunfish and they look identical.

I'm thinking juvie leporinus.... but it's really just a wild guess.

HN1 said:

No it's body is much wider and flat. And it's not quite as yellow. Ill put up some dryer pics in a sec. Currently one is on it's side and I don't think it's gonna make it. I think the guy squished it against the tank wall wen he was catching it. It has some red spots on it so I think it is bleeding internally

Iv seen these but not sure what they are called, but ik for sure its a cichlid!

No it's body is much wider and flat. And it's not quite as yellow. Ill put up some dryer pics in a sec. Currently one is on it's side and I don't think it's gonna make it. I think the guy squished it against the tank wall wen he was catching it. It has some red spots on it so I think it is bleeding internally
Thats too bad, I hope he can pull through.

The one that wasn't dying just jumped out o my QT tank and isn't doing well. Aaaaaah. Im so mad. these would hav really been cool fish. Do u hav any suggestions on wut I can do to save them?

Attachments

• image-431382944.jpg
    image-431382944.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 125
  • image-3626252249.jpg
    image-3626252249.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 130
ok you got me looking those up and I remembered a friend bought some and hated them because they ate ALL of his fish lol check this out this page says it is a good comunity fish! lol I want to get some one day. What is min tank size?

Well, the fish certainly could be a juvy sunfish of some sort IMO. That second picture really looks like the fish is damaged though. I hope they pull through.

Back
Top Bottom