Fish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronnieroach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hoping for a few IDs from my fav fish experts

i did ID both by research but i have since forgotten what they were lol

first is Big Black.. i swore the name had red fin or something in it.. he had more orange in his fins but as he's growing its less in his fins and starting in his body behind his face.. the lady at my lps had one and said it was a peacock ...??

wbblack1.jpeg wbblack2.JPG

second is Whitey Ford.. now i coulda swore when i found this one doing research i found that it was an albino peacock of some sort but again, i cannot find where i once ID'd him/her.. Whitey has stayed consistantly small even though i got him/her w/ my first set of cichlids about 5 months ago (i wanna say) .. i'm wondering if its a female because of the slow growth? (just wondering) unless its a dwarf of some kind? you tell me

whitey1.jpeg whitey1.JPG

LEMME KNOW WHATCHA THINK

the top looks like aulonocara stuartgranti female, as its more black and round. or a red fin borleyi female, but i think it is more the peacock :)
the bottom looks like albino aulonocara nyassae, or albino golden peacock similar to italy592's, so maybe you both have a dwarf peacock or something?

how big was the 2nd when u got it, what size tank had it been in previously? xx

THANNNK YOUUUU!!!

thats awesome that big black is probably female!! as i ID more of my fish i'm finding more of them are female than i thought which is AWESOME lol

whitey was in a 20H when i got him/her from my lps & was about the same size then as he/she is now (2inches+ roughhhly)

smallest in my tank & still holds his/her ground like a champ lol

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

haha! im glad i could help, its fun!!
sounds like either a random dwarfing gene or an actual species that doesnt get very big. how obscure! lol

any more to ID??? :p

dunno if u care but the one with blue on its face with the green pattern, i believe is a nimbocromis venustus (male)
so you know the venustus get huge (10"+) so be prepared to have a big enough environment...

thanks osci & i def care lol

& yah i'm aware.. i really love them & i'll be upgrading their tank in a year or less so i'm sure a 75-90 will be plenty room for em.. the 55gal is ok for now though, & he's my biggest at 4inches so i should be ok for a little as long as i quit the growth pellets & stick w/ color lol

& mouth -

thanks to you, i actually now know what all 11 affy's are :D

my next mission is determining if my electric yellow, demansani (spelling?) albino peacock & ob peacock are male or female.. i'm PRAYING female cuz then i'd be at a perfect ratio by accident LOL

thanks mouth!! i was lookin for your old post with that link lol

& i was JUST trying the floor move at the lps hahaha

i'm gonna give it a shot during feeding but it was kinda hard at the store

i have it saved to my favourite links lol!
of course, as you do... sitting on the lps floor??
when im at the store and want to buy a holding female (to make sure its female - and its free feeders too) i looking all their mouths while they swim, if their chins are down of if there are eggs in there subtly. my last peacock i got holding looked normal, but she has 23 hidden in there! clever :)

why dont u ask the dude to feed the tank to see whos holding or what vents etc? x

well i wasnt sitting so much as squatting haha

the lady who owns my petland discounts said shes gonna try to find me some colorful females on wednesday when she goes to the wholesaler

which leads to my NEW QUESTION!!

are there any REALLY colorful females? i was researching & praying to find colorful female peacocks but i'm about to just get more mbunas cuz they're bright & somewhat easy to sex

i think my "red jake" male & female are really a swallowtail pair because of the male's coloring .. i was thinking of rehoming the pair and replacing them w/ 4 more females

i have an electric yellow, who i now know is female, & i was thinking of getting another one.. also another female kenyi.. i think if i add 4 more females i should be at a DECENT ratio

as of now i have:
1 male venustus
1 male flameback
1 male firefish or strawberry peacock
1 female kenyi
1 female electric yellow
1 female red fin borleyi (THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THE ID's MOUTH)
1 albino golden peacock orrr maybe albino red shoulder?? thinking female
1 unknown ob peacock
1 unknown demasoni
*1 male swallowtail or jake
*1 female swallowtail or jake

so yeah, if i rehomed the 2 "jakes" i would have 9 total and could def get 4 more females, in my somewhat informed opinion LOL & i will be upgrading from the 55gal in a year or so, just FYI

i know this is kinda all over the place but hit me with whatever ya can

thanks again for all your help!!!

Your best option for color = all male hap and mbuna tank. Nothing will have a wider range of colorful fish. Hands down comparable and more active fish than a saltwater setup.

nah i get that tsk .. i just already have females & i'm pretty attatched to them ..

if i ever do another affy tank i'm def going all male peacocks & haps ..

on that note, ANY COLORFUL FEMALES ANYONE WOULD RECOMMEND?? lol

im not sure how well they would do,but jewel cichlids get about 6 inches,and i think they could hold there own. the females and males have like the exact same colouring,and are pretty much impossible to sex until they breed.

not really a fan of the jewels.. i've had them & found them to be quite jerky lol

i'm thinking my only bet is to go mbuna for colorful females THAT I ACTUALLY LIKE haha

thanks for the suggestion though they are pretty

mbuna OB zebra females. i have one :
Photo0117.jpg
shes incredible and has such a personality!! guards her log but never attacks the others unless she is holding, which is hard to do with eggs lol.
plus fuelleborni, if u can find those in female u will have amazing girls!! they have all different spots or stripes or block colours, great range.
and the peacocks obv.

and i think the 'jake' may be female as there is more barring than bright colour? xx

mbuna OB zebra females. i have one :
View attachment 59488

and i think the 'jake' may be female as there is more barring than bright colour? xx

i'm pretty sure that one is male cuz the female is completely colorless but looks almost identical .. and whats barring?? LOL

i do have the one OB peacock but i'm looking for even brighter coloring for the next few females i wanna buy.. still leaning towards some more electric yellows and kenyi types

Back
Top Bottom