fish ideas for a 10g fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thatropicalfishguy78

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need help choosing fish for my tank. It had fish in it for about 4 weeks but the fish have been moved to a different tank. It has live plants, gravel, and sand. I heard black kuhli loaches are a good idea but im not so sure. Any ideas?

A school of 6-8 neon tetra, then four or five assorted Cory Cats, and maybe somethin else.

You could add a school of ember tetra or celestial pearl danio and have some red cherry shrimp, I think that would be nice or one honey gourami and a school of 6 Pygmy cory

I wouldn't do neons in a 10; they are small yes but very active and would appreciate more swimming room. Most corys are too large and active for a 10; you might be able to do some pygmy corys but they aren't the easiest to find. A honey gourami is a bit large for a 10, and they can be aggressive. A sparkling gourami would be better.

You could do:
a single betta (don't underestimate the fun factor of these fish; I have one in a 10 and he often amuses me more than my larger tropical community tank)
OR
a school of 6-8 nano fish like ember tetra, chili rasbora or celestial pearl danio with a centerpiece like a sparkling or dwarf gourami.
Some endler's livebearers would work instead of the nano fish. Or a few guppies.
A couple of platy would work as well (not more than a couple as they are messy fish).

Maybe you could visit local fish stores, see what they have, write down what interests you and then research them and ask here. We can recommend fish but you might want to get a list of fish that you know you can get and then go from there.

If you have some experience in this hobby 1-2 dwarf puffers is always fun. I agree with librarygirl that neons and cories need a bigger footprint than a ten gallon offers.

I wouldn't do just 2 dwarfs 1 or 3 is best to keep aggression down, I have 5 in a 15g ATM waiting for them to get large enough to sex then its down to 1 male and 2 females

Back
Top Bottom