Fish in cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldfishGalT300

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

I’m using this guide to do a fish in cycle.

https://fishlab.com/fish-in-cycle/

I was uneducated, but now doing the best for my goldfish.

I am a beginner and have a silly question. When doing my water changes through the fish in cycle, should I be gravel syphoning the poop and debris out or leave it to help the process?

Thanks

Well. Thats a rather pessimistic opinion on fish in cycling, but generally a good methodology of doing one.

Dont go with the using prime method. While its fine to use prime as your water conditioner dont rely on it to control ammonia, nitrite etc. The only sure way to remove these waste products while you are cycling is water changes. Prime should only be a backup.

I would also say you can push water changes to keep ammonia + nitrite combined below 0.5ppm. If you see 0.5ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrite (or 0.25ppm of each) you only really need a small water change. If it creeps up to 1ppm combined, do 50% water change. But, if you want to go with the cautious approach advised in the article that's fine.

In answer to your question, i wouldn't do a deep gravel vac. Just a light cleaning of the surface to remove any food, poop etc should suffice. A deep gravel vac will remove beneficial bacteria too, which you are trying to grow.

Out of interest how big a tank do you have and how many goldfish? Goldfish get big, live a long time, and a very messy. They need a big tank.

Hi thanks for your reply :) I have 3 fancies in a 240 litre. Not planning on getting anymore.

Back
Top Bottom