Fish kicking up substrate all over plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jtd1216

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have eco-complete in my tank, and i finally added my fish from my smaller tank into my new bigger planted one.

This morning i noticed the water was a little bit cloudy and the plants were covered in dustings from the substrate. Then i saw one of my cory's dart accross the bottom kicking up a huge cloud of the eco-complete.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on this?

The finer dust eventually settles into the substrate. My hairgrass and dwarf sag (my short) plants always have a little bit on them.

I could just imagine what kind of a dust storm my Dojo Loach would create if I moved him from the 55G to the 75G. But I'm not. He loves the pool filter sand.

My African cichlids dig around in my substrate like children in a sandbox and can make quite a mess. I've found that if I use a small powerhead to keep a little bit of current flowing just above the surface of my substrate, that it will help settle the floating dust (or at least keep it from settling directly on the plants).

Update

Now that i look at it, it doesn't look like debris from my substrate. It looks like dust or something. If i rustle around it will fall off the plants. But there is a small layer of it on top of the substrate. It can't be fish waste, is there any other type of growth/deposits that are similar to this?

It's just Eco Complete dust. It's just fine. You could swirl around the gravel vac a little and suck some of it up the next time you do a vac, but is not necessary. Mine is the same way, as my tank is relatively new as well. Wouldn't worry about it.

new update

Ok. if i can, i will try to get a clear enough picture of it to make sure, because it just doesn't look like it would belong with eco-complete (not same look)

Update:
well here are some pics of what i mean.... blurry (my camera distorts at close views)

img_600402_0_8f4933403a0fc6bb437e3e525b3a08a4.jpg

img_600402_1_f62195164438d85858801960ba24e99d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom