Fish Lying/Dying on bottom of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmpgop

Aquarium Advice Freak
((sigh)) One of my danios (about 4 years old) is currently dying & lying on the bottom of my tank. I see he is still trying to *breath*... Is the best choice just to let nature take its course?

Or does anyone else have any other suggestions.

((big sigh))

I feel bad. I have only had these fish for about 2 months (I got the tank from my sister n law).

So what do you do when you see that the fish is actively in the process of dying.

He should go fast. If not there are a few options. Do you have any taquila? You can put him in a shot glass of it. There is a link in the unhealthy fish section about euthanasia. I'm so sorry.

Im very sorry :(. Personally I tend to euthanize in situations like that by using salted ice water. The process is detailed in the sticky previously mentioned by the other poster. My only variance is adding kosher salt to the water to lower the freezing temperature so the water can be much colder and make the process faster. It is an instant and humane end to their suffering.

If he seems like he's very far gone, I do tend to leave fish in the aquarium until the end. It may be more stress at the end of their life to scoop them out of the water. Sometimes I'll take a net and place it over them in the water so the other fish won't pick on them.

Sorry again :(.

*There is some debate on the alcohol method. Normally that's only recommended for after the fish is put under anesthesia by using clove oil...otherwise there's the possibility they can suffer.

Thank you all for your input! I couldn't have done it without your replies... I happened to have clove oil. I just did the oil and then the decapitation. He wasn't moving around much at all really... But it was still sad :( I just finished with the duty and that was rather awful.

I knew he had been dying for just over two weeks or so. Over the last couple of weeks he got really skinny and started hanging at the bottom of the tank and hiding. Not eating as much - etc.

I knew today would be the day when I left this morning. He was swimming around this morning at the top of the tank when I fed them - he didn't even show an interest in eating a thing.

Bleh.

Thanks again all. I appreaciate your words and help!

Janelle

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom