Fish MIA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sydsmom367

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I got 6 harlequin rasboras this weekend and this morning I could only find 5. I've been looking all day and don't see him anywhere. He's not floating, not in the filter and not behind the plants that I can see. Do you think the other fish ate him?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do a water change with your gravel vac and you're bound to find it one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know how you feel. When I had my 29 gallon tank I bought a pleco and it went missing. I bought another one. It went missing too. I bought a third one. Poof! Gone. I think maybe my red tail black shark whacked them and then the rest of the fish hid the evidence!

I hope you find it. :)

I have lost two fish without a trace. One was a mature BN pleco! I looked in every nook and cranny of the tank and ornaments and never found a trace of him. The other one was a neon. My tank is heavily planted so it's easy for them to hide.

Luckily my daughter didn't count them when she got home from school, so maybe there's a chance she won't notice.

Do a water change with your gravel vac and you're bound to find it one way or another.

Found him. He was in one of the plants. Not sure if he got stuck or just went there to die. He was covered in white fuzzy stuff. What is that?

Found him. He was in one of the plants. Not sure if he got stuck or just went there to die. He was covered in white fuzzy stuff. What is that?

its just the fish deteriorating they do that after being dead for a little while.

If he died so quickly after being introduced to a cycled tank (the tank has been cycled, right?) he was likely sick to begin with and the new tank was just the last straw to his system. Not much you could have done. If this is actually a freshly set up tank, I recommend you read the articles about fish-in cycling, as he could have died to ammonia poisoning caused by the tank not being cycled.

The tank has been up and running for a little over 3 mos. I did and in fish cycle with the 2 guppies and water parameters are good. They seem to be doing better as a school of 5 anyway.

Perfect, I'd say you just got a weak or sick one then. Some initial losses are fairly common depending on the quarantine practices followed by the place you bought them on. Nothing to stress over.

I think I'm gonna name this shoal the Donner party, cause now I only see 4.

Some fish are doomed from day one, it would have probably died no matter what tank it was in.
Probably sick when you got it plus the fact that most stores don't do a great job keeping their fish.

Back
Top Bottom