fish on its side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I looked in my tank about 5 min. ago and one of my neons is swimming o nits side like its other fin wont work. Anyone know whats up? could it just be that its trying to sleep for somthing? Im no to worried but i would like to know if I should be.

I am not trying to scare you but that is what my neon was doing today before it died. I don't know about the fin part but it was swimming on it's side.
Off topic-
I can not seem to buy healthy neons from the LFS I USED to visit. I bought 4 and all of them died with in 2 days :( I have 2 that are still alive from a while ago.

What are your water parameters? Your water reading will tell you alot about what's going on in your tank.

IMO, tetra's are very sensitive to changing water conditions.

Neon Tetras are more forgiving of water conditions than other Tetras. That is one of the reasons they are so popular (that and the price). You should definitely check your water conditions though any time a fish demonstrates abnormal behavior. Is the fish coloring normal? Do your other 2 Neons look fine? Here is a link with more information on the species including preferred water conditions. It might provide a clue to what you are seeing.

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/neon.xml

Unfortunately, due to the popularity of neons, the breeding has gone downhill. Members from all over have stated that it is harder to find neons that live a full life in their tanks. Many have turned to cardinalor white clouds instead of neons.

i dont know what it was doing, it is swimming today but it seems to be having to use its fins alot to steady. Ill cheack my water soon and get back to you on that. Ive had the neons for aout a month now and they seem to be doing great, untill last night. i need to do a water change anyway so ill do that after i check the water. thanks for your help.

sorry i still havent gotten the parameters, ive been so busy with school and projects taht i havent had time (kind of been neglecting my fish :( ).

could it just be that its trying to sleep for somthing?

Sleep? Sorry, that's funny! :wink: As Menagerie said, neons have been so interbred over the years, neons from pet stores don't seem as healthy as they used to be. I've never had neons because everyone tells me they need pretty pristine water. Please check your parameters soon!

Back
Top Bottom