Fish only ???'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djbarnes88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just purchased a 90 gallon set up off of ebay last night and I am working on my set up. I would like to use sand as my substrate. In one of my freshwater tanks I am using pool filter sand and I like the way it looks. At first this will be a FO no live rock. Will pool filter sand work for me? I will probably want to eventually add Liverock and maybe even some corals down the road. Will I be able to seed the pool filter sand and create a "live sand" bed? Also, not taking into account predators what kind of inverts can I get if any (starfish, shrimp, crabs, and snails). My tank will have a NO fixture for the immediate future and will be upgraded at a later date. According to the auction and the picture it has a wet/dry filter that looks pretty big and a seaclone skimmer in the sump. Sorry for the long post, any help will be appreciated. I'm sure more questions will be forthcoming.

If I am not mistaken, this kind of sand is primarily silica sand. If it's pure silica, it should be fine although the fauna that will live in the sand eventually may not like it that much... I would try to confirm with the manufacturer what it's actual content is to be safe.

djbarnes88 said:
Will I be able to seed the pool filter sand and create a "live sand" bed?
You will but as I mentioned above, the fauna may not do as well as a good grade of oolitic sand. The silica is basically fine glass and the sharp edges will damage some of the more delicate animals that live in the sand. That said though, seeding it will be no problem...

Also, not taking into account predators what kind of inverts can I get if any (starfish, shrimp, crabs, and snails)
The types of fish you keep will have a large impact on the types of inverts you keep. If the fish will be on a more community/peaceful level, there is no reason you should not be able to keep the snails, crabs and shrimp depending on eventual species but without the LR, I would not suggest any star. Without natural hiding places they will not do that well and the more hard to keep ones will need alot of grazing area that only a well matured tank with a good amount of LR could provide...
According to the auction and the picture it has a wet/dry filter that looks pretty big and a seaclone skimmer in the sump
A link to the auctioned item would help. The wet/dry will be fine for an FO but once you move towards a reef, you might want to just convert it to a simple sump and rely moreso on the LR for filtration. The skimmer is not a good one IME, you may end up getting a different one once you set it up and see it's very lacking design and performance.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the reply. Keeping cost in mind what is a good inexpensive sand that will allow the liitle critters to flourish?
Also, is it possible to keep LR alive with NO lighting?

djbarnes88 said:
Thanks for the reply. Keeping cost in mind what is a good inexpensive sand that will allow the liitle critters to flourish?
Most types of playsand are usually good. Southdown, Yardright and OldCastle to name a few. Easiest way to be sure it is an aragonite sand, if to pour some of the sand in a bowl with a bit of vinegar. If it fizz's, it's good. If it does nothing, then it's silica.

Also, is it possible to keep LR alive with NO lighting?
As long as it's in the 2-3w/gal range it shoud be fine. The main concern is the coralline unless buying uncured LR, then the light dependant hitchikers will become an issue. If buying cured LR, the NO's will be fine just make sure you use more actinic than white light if possible....

Cheers
Steve

sharkthevandal said:
dosn't silica based sand promote the growth of brown allege?
Nope, silicates cause brown algae. Silica cannot become silicates and is therefore not an issue.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom