Fish Out Of Water!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuckyWanderer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Today I brought home a zebra nerite snail. While I was bag acclimating it as well as adding tank water to the bag my betta ned decided to investigate. He got between the bag and the tank wall, got scared and jumped out of his tank and landed on the floor! He started flopping around on the ground which made it extremely hard to pick him up. When I finally got him in my hand he was covered in dirt from the floor. I didn't think washing him off in the sink was good so I just put him back in the tank. He still has some dirt on his slime coat and I guess when he was flopping around on the floor or in my hand he tore a giant rip in his caudal fin. He also might have tears in his pectoral fins but I cant tell because they are tightly clamped. Sometimes he swims around but mostly he rests on the tall plant leafs with his fins tightly clamped. Is he going to get an infection or fin rot from this? Do fish that jump out of tanks survive usually? What should I do to help him, I turned the tank light off. :ermm: please help!

Today I brought home a zebra nerite snail. While I was bag acclimating it as well as adding tank water to the bag my betta ned decided to investigate. He got between the bag and the tank wall, got scared and jumped out of his tank and landed on the floor! He started flopping around on the ground which made it extremely hard to pick him up. When I finally got him in my hand he was covered in dirt from the floor. I didn't think washing him off in the sink was good so I just put him back in the tank. He still has some dirt on his slime coat and I guess when he was flopping around on the floor or in my hand he tore a giant rip in his caudal fin. He also might have tears in his pectoral fins but I cant tell because they are tightly clamped. Sometimes he swims around but mostly he rests on the tall plant leafs with his fins tightly clamped. Is he going to get an infection or fin rot from this? Do fish that jump out of tanks survive usually? What should I do to help him, I turned the tank light off. :ermm: please help!
One of the things that you have to wonder about is bruising. From the top of the tank to the floor is quite a fall for a little fish. The fish is probably in pain. He may take a couple of days to recover. The caudal fin rip is only a major problem if it ripped up to the flesh because infection could set in. As far as a little bit of dirt being on him, it will come off as he swims because the slime coat is alway being replenished. If you have any Slime Coat to add to the tank it may be help. Just keep a watch on him. His not swimming alot right now is because it hurts. Watch his appitite to make sure hes eating by tomorrow, that's a good sign. He may be fine as the bruising heals. He's not the 1st fish to jump out of a tank.

If the rip in his fin is really bad, you could try an epsom salt bath or use aquarium salts. I live by Epsom salts lol

One of the things that you have to wonder about is bruising. From the top of the tank to the floor is quite a fall for a little fish. The fish is probably in pain. He may take a couple of days to recover. The caudal fin rip is only a major problem if it ripped up to the flesh because infection could set in. As far as a little bit of dirt being on him, it will come off as he swims because the slime coat is alway being replenished. If you have any Slime Coat to add to the tank it may be help. Just keep a watch on him. His not swimming alot right now is because it hurts. Watch his appitite to make sure hes eating by tomorrow, that's a good sign. He may be fine as the bruising heals. He's not the 1st fish to jump out of a tank.

The tank isn't very high, maybe a foot and a half from the top of the tank to the ground. Its on a bedside table. The rip in his caudal fin doesn't go all the way to his body, though I am not sure if it will still cause an infection.

He'll be fine, just keep on the water changes and most important no ammonia. You can dissolve some aquarium salt and put that in the tank to keep him calm, and take some of the pain away. A good water change should clean the dirt off him too. Keep the lights low.

He seems better now. Hes swimming around more and he even ate bloodworms later in the evening. I might add aquarium salt but I definitely will keep the water warm and clean.

Salt will keep him calm and stressless, it will help prevent more damage to his fins. And betta bath water 80° perfect. [emoji4]

That's fine. They thrive in 79 or 80. If temps yoyo's too much it can cause Betta's to become sick. Or fin rot.

Back
Top Bottom