Fish recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rcguerra

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been successfully breeding bettas and playing with high-tech/high light tanks for the last 3 years. My biggest tank was a 7.7 gallon.

Recently I decided to bring things up to a new level, and purchased a 60g tank from marineland. More info about the tank here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/2015-project-living-room-focal-point-323168.html

Since I really like the idea of a well planted aquascape, I was looking for a fish similar to a betta (territorial, with personality, colorful and that does well alone). I REALLY wanted an oscar, but my readings and some of my AA friends indicate my setup is not adequate.

If you read the other thread, you will notice that the recommendation was to come here, so here I am.

What kind of fish is the equivalent of a giant sized betta, or a mini Oscar, that will be a good fit for a heavily planted 60g tank?

Thank you in advance. (y)

Most cichlids won't mix well in a planted tank. You can look at severums, Geos, non-rift africans, etc. that would work. If you aren't set on a larger individual fish, apistos, angels, and the like can provide a nice community foundation.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I am trying to replicate my nano tanks, just on a larger scale. Something similar to what I have here in my office:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426873994.071350.jpg

For now, I am trying to stay away from the community concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Angelfish are great. They are semi-aggressive so u can have a nice school of non nipping tetras. And with ur green thumb and scaping skills the long flowing find of graceful Angels and a beautiful school of tetras darting thru the plants would be stunning.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No severums plants are an all you can eat buffet to a severum. Mog or freak can advise you on a colorful plant friendly rare sa/ca cichlid

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Loved my sev but the only plant he wouldn't eat was anacharis. Beautiful fish with a great personality though, loved to be hand fed!

Blue Gularis Killifish

There is a great breeder in our area.

Then I also found this clip from another breeder in our area.

Last edited:
Blue Gularis Killifish

There is a great breeder in our area.

Then I also found this clip from another breeder in our area.

These guys get very large as far as killies go and eat any tankmates that fit in their mouths so what goes in with them has to be chosen carefully.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom