fish-safe paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowangeltae

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have some rocks that I would like to paint and put them in my 80 gal freshwater aquarium. Anybody know of what paints are "fish-safe"? How about painting them and then coating them w/ epoxy?

I would'nt paint any rocks and put them in my tank, I would'nt trust it to be honest unless I knew it was going to be 100% safe, i'm sure theres a type of paint tho, try google for fish safe paints maybe you'll find a quicker awnser there. And i'm not sure about the epoxy having never used it myself, you'll have to wait until one of our experts replys, sorry I could'nt help that much. Hope it helps a little.

www.google.com

Only stuff I can think of is pool paint. But you might be stuck with only white and blue, and who knows how long it lasts.

You can get coloring pigment for epoxy so you kill 2 birds with one stone. After coating, let them set out till you can't smell the epoxy. You can also add sand to the mix if you want a different texture. :D

Well, the substrate I currently have is black and white. My background is black, also. The rocks I want to paint are a whitish color, but have some brownish red and I just want them solid white or black. I was hoping to save some money by painting them instead of buying. But, I can't even find anybody that sells decent looking rocks. I live in San Antonio, TX and there's a lot of cool looking limestone, but that's a no no in aquariums. I've looked around in areas where the area is being cleared for building homes or offices, but I'm not finding what I want. Had I thought ahead, I probably would have done a more natural looking tank, but I'm not about to change out the substrate in an 80 gal aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom