Fish Safe with Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know that.

Dithers are a fish used to pull shy cichlids (and other fish) out of hiding. The thought is that when the shy fish sees a schooling fish out in the open, they know it's safe from predators. You wouldn't need dithers in a typical mbuna or peacock set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Dithers are a fish used to pull shy cichlids (and other fish) out of hiding. The thought is that when the shy fish sees a schooling fish out in the open, they know it's safe from predators. You wouldn't need dithers in a typical mbuna or peacock set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They are also used to distract aggression.....

Ok, so far all the fish have shown no stress or injuries except the male peacock who has started to be chased around the tank by the calico mbuna. I am planning to catch the mbuna and sell him today or tomorrow.

You are miss reading or reading wrong information.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app
OK.
Arguing with some of the most knowledgeable cichlid guys here won't really net you anything.

Thank you for your sarcasm. However, I'm not some newbie to forums or fish keeping in general......

OK.

Thank you for your sarcasm. However, I'm not some newbie to forums or fish keeping in general......

No sarcasm here, nor did I imply you were a newbie (although your own posts are implying it), I was only stating that two of the people you were arguing with were people pretty highly respected here. If you have some problem with my statements then feel free to pm me so as not to disrupt this thread.

No sarcasm here, nor did I imply you were a newbie (although your own posts are implying it), I was only stating that two of the people you were arguing with were people pretty highly respected here. If you have some problem with my statements then feel free to pm me so as not to disrupt this thread.

All I said was that rainbowfish would possibly be OK with africans, and the dither/target fish discussion was completely useless to this thread.

I just looked up "dither fish" in my aquarium terms dictionary. Here is what it says:
dither fish- those placed in the same aquarium with a potential breeding pair to encourage the latter to spawn by giving them a sense of security necessary for successful parenting;may also serve as a "target" for the displacement of aggressive behavior between a potential breeding pair.

I just looked up "dither fish" in my aquarium terms dictionary. Here is what it says:
dither fish- those placed in the same aquarium with a potential breeding pair to encourage the latter to spawn by giving them a sense of security necessary for successful parenting;may also serve as a "target" for the displacement of aggressive behavior between a potential breeding pair.

Why would you even bring it up again once it has ended?

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/phpBB3/topic2294.html
http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=42
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-13679.html
http://www.forum.petswarehouse.com/threads/dither-vs-target.6328/

While yes, the two terms are often used synonymously, they aren't the same. Dithers are for the sole purpose of making the environment seem peaceful and tranquil enough to lure a timid fish out. Targets are for the purpose of being quick, agile, and tough enough for aggressive fish to go after them rather than going after one another.

A good dither fish may or may not be a good target fish and vice versa.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Why would you even bring it up again once it has ended?

Dither fish and Target fish | RateMyFishTank.com
On Dither Fish by Paul V. Loiselle - The Cichlid Room Companion
dither/target fish - other cichlids? [Archive] - Aquaria Central
dither vs target | Pet Forum

While yes, the two terms are often used synonymously, they aren't the same. Dithers are for the sole purpose of making the environment seem peaceful and tranquil enough to lure a timid fish out. Targets are for the purpose of being quick, agile, and tough enough for aggressive fish to go after them rather than going after one another.

A good dither fish may or may not be a good target fish and vice versa.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Exactly A perfect example I used scissor tail rasboras as dithers in my geophagus and severum tank a while back. Worked like a charm. If these were in with larger aggressive fish as target fish they would be swallowed whole in one day.

I'm going to catch the calico mbuna today. I thought of a better idea since he likes to eat at the top of the frank I can scoop him up while he's eating.

Back
Top Bottom